Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chev auto radio 986698 1953 - 4

Hi everyone,I have been working blind on this radio and it is now working quite well but I would like to have a look at the schematic to clear some points. I believe it is a Chev radio and from another website I have gleaned this number :986698. I'm not sure if this is the Chev part number or the manufacturer's number.The date seems to be '53 or '54.Rider seems not to go up to this date. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the schematic for this set?Most of the valves (tubes!) are Delco which made me think this was a Delco set and it may yet prove to be so but there are  absolutely no marks or identification on or in the set anywhere. Thank you.

Couldn't find that model #. Sam's didn't list it and they are pretty reliable. Did find this: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Ri...n-1953.pdf  Scroll to pg 29/30.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Delco manufactured car radios using the name United Motors Services but left Delco as the brand. Go figure?! I didn't find your model number in my Riders index but it's close. My index ends at 1953 which is vol. 22 so if Riders has it, it would be vol. 23 (if it exists). I also checked Beitman and nothing there. And briefly Radio Museum.

I looked it up in Riders but they cover about 1924 or so to 1952. Sam's overlaps a bit from 1946- somewhere in the 2000's. Beitmans is a good resource but it's the "Most Often Needed Diagrams". They cover from 1923-1970. All are on line for free viewing except for Sam's they're still copy written. Tip of auto radios. If you can find a service manual of the auto the radio came out of the manual may have the diagram in. My 1961 Ford does. Think it has both the Motorola and the Bendix sets. 12v space charge tubes (valves) w/a two stage xsistor amp.

Happy Hunting!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi Everyone,
Thank you all for your help here. I have found the schematic , in the Beitmans  publication on page 30.So thank you .
I must apologise. I got one number wrong  having found the correct image on https://www retroradioshop.com. When I transferred this number to the Phorum I put in a 9 instead of a 6 as the second to last number. It is not a good idea to do these things late at night.I am sorry to have sent  folk  on a wild goose chase.
With the schematic the mystery of the tone control has become clear. 
 Also my set has a 6X5 as rectifier in place of the OZ4. 
As found I was surprised to find there was an ( alien plastic jumper) wire soldered directly to the  valve pin of the 6X5 (pin 2 )( there being no actual tag in the valve socket )from the plate condenser and a second (alien plastic ) wire  from  tag  7 to chassis . I assumed this was because the pin 2  tag on the valve base had broken off perhaps because of rough handling so the only way to "light up "the 6X5 was to solder direct to the valve pin .Now I know this was to employ a 6X5 in a socket made for an OZ4.
Either way it all works pretty well now .Also intrigued to find where the dial light is supposed to be connected _ to the dimmer switch.Again , sorry for the wild goose chase.Thank you all.