Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 52-T1882 doors restoration

I have a vintage Philco cabinet that I would like to restore.  The biggest issue I am having trying to understand how the doors were finished.  The cabinet has some wear on the finish, and a tear on the clothe.  I scratched off some finish, with my fingernail and it appears the gold line and the multi grain finish is just a faux finish.  Is there any literature on how to restore these doors? Also, the dark color around the speaker clothe seams to be a paint.  Can anyone guide me to the actual product I can use to apply in order to restore this area?  Thank you

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi James and welcome,

The finish on the front of this cabinet is a large decal that placed over the wood to make it different than what it really is. In your case the decal is failing at the bottom of the door. The area down by the speaker is colored by using toned lacquer which can be refinished or touched up.
The door really depends on how artistic you are. I've done some smaller areas w/good results but the bigger the area the harder it is to hide. 

I used a combination of sanding sealer, water based acrylic paints, and very small brushes. Used yellow, black and red to make three different brown colors. Apply with artistic talent to replicate the original.

Mohawk has a full line of refinishing supplies including toner (lacquer)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

+1 on what Radioroslyn said. Unfortunately the decals or photofinish must either be repainted like doing a painting restoration and recreating the image or the entire door needs a refinish which will look different than the original. Do it yourself photofinish repair is possible if you have a way to create the image you want, get it printed onto paper and then applied to the door.. I've done it for small areas but never something as large as your doors. The DIY "how to" is on our pages at: https://philcoradio.com/schooley/
(my attempt at this can be found at: https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...5#pid65105 )