Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

model 17 L 1933

Hi I am new here...I have had this radio in my famly for many years,everything seems to work fine...wood cabinet could use some work...someone has put urathane on it and didn`t do a very good job...I am a cabinet maker buy trade,and I an thinking about refinishing it...Does any one have ideas what I should use to strip this or should I sand this...I am planing to use this for a tv show and could use some ideas...thay say there were only 2,200 made and the price back then 1933 sold for around 100 dolars... is this correct...any information would be helpfull......Thanks[attachment=3][attachment=3][attachment=3]

Hi and welcome. Your posting will be
better served in the correct Phorum Section.

Chuck

Welcome, grantman007.

Your 17L will be really nice once you restore it.

A lot of people use Citri-Strip to remove the old finish. Others use a cabinet scraper to scrape the old finish. Whatever you do, I strongly caution you against sanding the cabinet any more than is absolutely necessary! The veneers are very thin and if you go overboard with sanding, you can easily sand through the veneer. So, try to avoid sanding when stripping the cabinet. 4/0 (extra fine) steel wool will be better.

The original finish was tinted lacquer. Mohawk's Medium Walnut would be an excellent toning lacquer for this cabinet, followed by coats of clear gloss lacquer, carefully wet sanded with very, very fine sandpaper (800 grit or better).

grantman007 Wrote:thay say there were only 2,200 made and the price back then 1933 sold for around 100 dolars... is this correct...

Ummm...yes...

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1933b.htm#g

This info was taken from Philco Furniture History, an in-house Philco document which gives data on nearly all Philco cabinets.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN