Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 16B

Can anyone recomend a site to purchase the rubber dial drive parts for a philco 16B?

Don't know about a website...have you tried hardware stores, Lowe's, Home Depot?

Look for O-rings in the plumbing department. Use the sizes given at this page in the Philco Library:
http://philcoradio.com/library/index.php...34-44-144/

(italics indicate revisions made 2/2/2019)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Update: Here's an online hardware store selling both Numbers 19 and 94 of DANCO O-rings (the two sizes needed for the 5-band 16 dial drive):

2/2/2019 Edit: Link no longer active and was removed. However I found them at Menards:

Danco #19 O-Ring at Menards

Danco #94 O-Ring at Menards

Mind you, these links will probably be broken in a few years and that is beyond my control. Just plan on doing a web search for "Danco #19 O-Ring" and "Danco #94 O-Ring"...or just visit your local hardware store or home improvement center.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have done a couple of 16s. I used O-rings from Lowe's. I don't remember the number for the larger one, seems like no. 17 or something. The smaller one was harder to find, but I found it at Lowe's also. Look where the copper fittings are. They have the tees that do not require solder, the tubing just pushes in and locks. They have a replacement O-ring for them. The brand is Grip N Go, you need the 1/2" size. The part no is 519-12. For the very large rubber on the drum, I used an oil filter gasket.
Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Ron beat me. Ok a number 19. Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks guys!I have a lowes down the street.
The boyzz

Steve - how did you get an oil filter gasket? From a new (or used) filter?

Any particular filter?

Great idea Icon_exclaim

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, I used a Fram 3980 that I removed from my truck. Just dig the gasket out of the base of the filter with a screwdriver. The OD turned out to be a little small,it had a tendency to slip a little, so I installed one layer denim material on the drum with contact cement and reinstalled the gasket. It then worked perfect. It could be that other brands of filters or other part numbers may fit better.
Steve

[Edited correct filter number in orig post here. CS]

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks, Steve! I will definitely try that. I've been wondering for years where someone could find a suitable replacement for the large rubber ring that goes on behind the dial scale.

It just so happens my car is due for an oil change...I'll try the gasket from its old oil filter first. If that does not work, I will get one of the Fram 3387 filters. (I have an early 144 that needs this ring.)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

If you have a "Jiffy Lube" or some other quick change place nearby, they might let you go through their throwaways and pick out the gaskets.
Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

That would have been a good idea, Steve, if I still lived in Evansville. Alas, there are no Jiffy Lubes in little old Ferdinand...

At any rate, I'll soon have a replacement rubber ring for my 144B, thanks to your great suggestion! Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

OOPS! The filter number I used was a 3980. Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

I'm going to revisit this topic.

About four months ago I took a part time job at Walmart in the Tire and Lube Express. I have been collecting oil filter gaskets, trying to find the best size for the Philco 16 and 44 tuning drives. The Fram filter gaskets are just a little too small, I keep a fram gasket stashed for comparison.

Here are brands and part numbers that I have found so far that should work.

AC           PF63
Mopar      04892339AA
NAPA       1372
Premium Guard   PG195   PG3387   PG4457
Pronto      PO4670
Wix          5137

The Premium Guard gaskets have the largest cross-section and the tightest fit, almost too tight. But, I think any of these numbers will work fine. I'm sure there are other part numbers of these brands that will also work and there may be other brands that I haven't come across yet. I will keep watching for other numbers.

Steve 

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Just curious if there have been any new developments on this subject in the last 4 years?? I am at this point with my 16b. I found adequate subs for the O rings and the lower drive is working perfect.. Its the big dial ring i am now contending with..

Thanks..
Steve

Ron

I tried to go to that link you gave about the O-ring sizes for 16, and it's dead.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.