Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90 Cabinet Toner Color?

Philco 90 Cabinet, looking at this cabinet it looks like an original finish to me, does it look like it has been refinished/ stripped? 
Im thinking of using Mohawk Ultra dye toner, either Universal Walnut or Van Dyke Walnut, thoughts? 
The trim seems to be the same shade as the main cabinet body.
Notice the filler on the nail heads on the bottom trim can be seen, I wouldnt think that would be original, was a darker toner used for the trim? pigment or dye?
There looks to be a repair of a small piece of veneer by the speaker, it was glued in crooked, Im going to pry it out and reglue it.
Think I should apply some hot air first?

Comment deleted.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron,
Actually you want to use the Mohawk Ultra dye toner for the main cabinet bodies and in some cases use the "Toner" pigment toner for trim depending on the radio.
The Ultra toner allows the wood grain to show through while the pigment type toner will give you a piano or electric guitar type finish. Although the more coats of Ultra you put on, it will get darker and start to hide the grain.

Here is an example:
The Phlico 60 shown is done in Mohawk Ultra Toners. Extra Dark Walnut for the dark cabinet and Medium Brown Walnut for the lighter sections. The inner black lines are done in Tamiya Ts-14 spray lacquer.
The Fairbanks Morse below is done Ultra Perfect Brown, the dark Trim is done in Van Dyke Brown pigment "Toner" toner.

Attached Files Image(s)

Uh, duh, like I don't know that...SMH...

I'm out.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN