Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model N-1880-124 Console Stereo

I recently found a Model N-1880-124 for free on marketplace but some bulbs are burned out, it needs a new stylus, the player/changer runs but needs some TLC, and the AM function seems to be totally gone. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find some documentation so I know what parts to get and so I’m not flying blind

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Mitch and welcome,

I took a look around and didn't see much on your set. It was built in '65.
You might have a look in here and see if your model is listed.
https://www.samswebsite.com/downloads/AN...1_2002.pdf
From there you can seek the proper folder which has the info you are looking for.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Interesting set, likely US made. Interesting "Background Music" switch, likely for "SCA" (StoreCast Allocation), on a 67KHz subcarrier in the FM Signal. This was used by FM stations that piped in a "Muzak-like" program of elevator music for supermarkets, etc. Not used much now for that purpose, but may be used for special interest or cultural programming. (When I worked as a field engineer in NYC, a lot of food carts were operated by immigrants. Most had small portable radios with the SCA feature, tuned to cultural programs in their language (Haitian Creole, Urdu, Mandarin, etc.) if various functions don't work, flipping the switches back and forth may help. If it does, see various threads on the use of DeOxIt products.

Recapping will likely need to be done only on power supply and output coupling electrolytic caps. the various signal and coupling caps are likely rather modern ceramic, mylar, polyester, etc. and won't really need to be changed. The output stage is likely a "totem pole" transformerless stage, coupled to the speaker via an electrolytic cap and completely intolerant of short circuits or paralleling speakers. The transistors will blow faster than the fuse that protects them.

The turntable is likely V-M (Voice of Music), a very popular US turntable in the 1950s - 1960s on low and mid-range consumer electronics, prior to the practical takeover of that segment by Garrard. The cartridge is likely ceramic. Reproduction capstan drive wheels are available via the internet. Further info is available here on the Phorum in threads, and on https//thevoiceofmusic.com

Experts, please chime in.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55