Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Midwest 88

Thanks for the advice radio and otherwise. I’ve cleaned it up a little more. Reflowed the solder. Blew out the junk. Cleaned up with a small brush and some de-oxit.
In general I’ve concluded all we can do is just be peaceful and try to enjoy ourselves. Having a nice week although the county fair was really a rain out day yesterday. Someone won 1st place in the antiques building with a tired looking Echophone. Next year I should enter my fully restored Sparton 617 and take the grand prize.

Attached Files Image(s)

Cleaning with Deoxit (any Deoxit) is not a very good idea. All of them are conductive.
Take stiff (used) toothbrush and dry (99%) isopropyl alcohol. Clean out well, to remove the Deoxit remnants.
I've seen that thing spark when getting in between high voltage.
I see a lot of some residue on those panels, it needs to be cleaned well.

About the heatshrink: yes, it is a good thing but is easily punctured with tinned wire. Make sure you trim the wires, especially the sharp sticking out ends in close proximity to the heatshrink (and otherwise to unrelated wires). From the pictures at these angles I cannot tell if there are areas of concern (like in the 1st pic the strands on the right are almost touching that ground lug), but you are there, so inspect it well.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yes. I’ve gone back and gone over the socket with isopropyl alcohol as suggested. I’ll continue to clean this up.
None of the wires etc are touching each other.

Good advice on the de-ox it. It’s always lauded as a s
socket cleaning item - the issue of residue doesn’t get mentioned. At $18 a can I guess they’d like people to use it often and profusely.

Deoxit is an excellent product. But as every excellent product it has its side effects one has to be aware of. Kinda like medicine.

Personally when I clean sockets, I use some narrow thing, like a toothpick, soaked in Deoxit D (red, the contact cleaner type) and rub it onto the mating surface. This way it is not wasted. If you have to spray it, then sure, spray it, but do the clean-up afterwards.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I use dental proxy brushes and Deoxit to clean sockets. The miniature stiff bristle brushes make easy work of pin sockets. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

This is similar to Proxabrush, only metal.

I have Harbor Freight near me, will go get it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/airbrush-c...8155&store=

Bridkarl, the Phorum has always been a safe place to be. As regards to your radio, I like what you did to preserve the original chassis holes for the xfrmr. Very elegant! I wish I had thought of that. Cheers, Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"