Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-10 faux finish?

I just obtained a 38-10 that although quite dark, the cabinet is in good shape. Is the 38-10 a model that has the faux finish? I’m not experienced enough to tell from just looking at it and I don’t want to do anything to it until I know.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sure looks like it. I've wiped them down w/a soft cloth and oms to clean off dirt and smoking residue. And then resprayed w/sanding sealer (a few coats). Do any t/u work and respray w/gloss. Looks like new.

GL w/your new project!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hello Phil27,
Yes it is faux finish I have that exact radio in my collection and it is my next project for a full chassis restoration my cabinet is in great shape !

Sincerely Richard

Just for future reference, our library has a list of the photofinish models. See:
https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...otofinish/

Thanks very much. I’ll clean it up as best I can. Appreciate all the replies!

Hey Bob,

That's pretty slick! That's the trick abt the library you gotta know where to look to find the right stuff.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

It's very likely dark because of layers of dirt, wax, oil, maybe even tobacco tar on the cabinet, GoJo cream hand cleaner, the non grit type, does a good job for cleaning dirt from wood cabinets, and many other things too.
Regards
Arran

Hello Phil27,
Here is a Photo of mine !
Since this photo I bought a escutcheon outer ring from Ebay this is my next project to hit the bench the chassis has not been restored yet .

Sincerely Richard

Attached Files Image(s)

I tried several methods to brighten the face up, nothing worked satisfactory for me…so I sanded off the faux finish, bought some walnut veneer and edging strips from Lee Valley and this is the finished product. 

Thanks again for all the helpful input!

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks super, very nice indeed! What time is Jack Benny on?Icon_smile.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Hello Phil27,
Looks great that what like about this hobby and this forum there so many great people here and why I see it if you are happy with it that what counts !!

Sincerely Richard