Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-10T chassis Restoration begins

That's right Richard. I have 2 chassis in my workshop with black soot areas where the AC line filter is. One is a Philco bakelite block and the other is a bumble bee that is split open and blew black dust over the area. Both units have the AC filter caps across the power cord before the switch. Better than a 50/50 chance that it happened with no one around.

Also at the time they did not control inrush current during turn-on. Today NTC thermistors are used for this. I am sure some of these fires could've been prevented if they had that technology back in the day.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

morzh,
Well said and I agree with you !
Rob for sure !

Sincerely Richard

Hello Guys,
Here is one of the coupling capacitors that I stuffed with the new one.
.015ufd at 630 volts

Sincerely Richard

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello Everyone,
Well I am still hoping someone has Philco part no. 30-2210 electrolytic can it is 12ufd .
since mine is missing .
I did order some parts including no 16 which is a 10k 3 watt power resistor .

I got the dual electrolytic which is a 4ufd and 8 ufd I used film capacitors rated at 630 volts .

Sincerely Richard

Hello Guys,
Here is the a photo showing the progress on the radio !
First one shows the rest of the coupling capacitors that I re-stuffed and in the second photo you can see the first two capacitors installed plus the one dual section filter capacitor .

Sincerely Richard

Attached Files Image(s)

Here is a closeup of the two coupling capacitors and the filter capacitor as you can see the new cloth covered wire .

Sincerely Richard

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello morzh,
thank you it's been slow going with everything else going on !

Sincerely Richard

That red gator wire isn't permanent, is it? Icon_lol

Hello Morzh,
"That red gator wire isn't permanent, is it?:
I thought it would work as  a good fusable link !

saturday I worked on getting the second Filter can no 45 on the diagram ready to re-stuff .
I am Using Film capacitors to replace the Wet electrolytic with the original capacitor value was 12 ufd I decided to use two 4.7 ufd's and one 3.9ufd capacitor because of room it meassured just over 13 ufd .

Sincerely Richard
P.S. I will post photos later sunday .

Hello Guys,
Here is a few photos of that Capacitor !
I ended up using a couple layers of heat shrink for added protection .

next step is to fix some of the original owner or repir guy named Jerry's nice floating connections and wires when they did repairs in the past . 

Sincerely Richard
P.S. Darn Jerry why do they love old cars and radios so much  Icon_lol

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello Guys,
yes , I am back working on my Philco again and I ran across some bad cloth cover rubber wire that is getting bad mainly the 3 wires running up to the speaker I am trying to determ the 3 colors used from the diagram since color on the wire it self is so faded away.
Is there a standard color code for Philco wiring ?
Also do you guys normally lace the wires I never laced the string on the wires so is there a trick ?

Sincerely Richard

Attached Files Image(s)

WiKi has the answer...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_lacing

A LOT of reference links at the bottom of the page...

I have done it often when I was employed for projects generated by my eLab.

My preference is for the waxed linen. I get this at a local nautical wholesale supply house. I prefer the linen as it won't melt from an errant hit with a hot soldering iron...

GL

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Looking good!