Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-610 Speaker Wiring Replacement

Greetings All,

Low and behold out of the dirty dusty closet lies a forgotten radio I had meant to get to someday now on the work bench, aka a Philco 37-610. One of the things that obviously needs replacement is the speaker wiring. Follow the leads, and away we go.

The question is what type of wiring is suitable for this? Will insulated colored speaker wire do, like 16 ga or close to that or will the type of wire be particular for impedence matching or performance?

Philco's are cool. Come back soon Ron Ramirez. See you all at ARCI meet this Sunday.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Hi Gary

I know someone in the r.a.r+p newsgroup has already answered this for you, but 18 or even 20 gauge would be quite sufficient for what you're doing. If you wanted to use the repro cloth-covered wire from Radio Daze, you could get a piece of green, a piece of white, and a piece of blue, and be almost authentic. I've used 20 gauge cloth-covered wire for speakers in the past and never had an issue with them. I'm out of the stuff now, though, else I would send you three wires, sorry.

If you don't go the cloth-covered route, plastic insulated wire of 18 or 20 gauge will serve the purpose.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

mrphilco Wrote:Hi Gary

I know someone in the r.a.r+p newsgroup has already answered this for you, but 18 or even 20 gauge would be quite sufficient for what you're doing. If you wanted to use the repro cloth-covered wire from Radio Daze, you could get a piece of green, a piece of white, and a piece of blue, and be almost authentic. I've used 20 gauge cloth-covered wire for speakers in the past and never had an issue with them. I'm out of the stuff now, though, else I would send you three wires, sorry.

If you don't go the cloth-covered route, plastic insulated wire of 18 or 20 gauge will serve the purpose.

Thanks Ron. Authenticity is cool, but for now I want something that will do the job and look neat as well. I'm sort of anxious to get this set going, had it quite awhile and just realized without doing this it's a fire hazard to say the least.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU