Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 37-116 code 121 chassis restoration completed

Hello, I finally got my Philco 37-116 chassis restored and is working on all bands and will be starting on the cabinet this week. I do have a question--on bands 4 & 5 is there an easier way to properly align them without using the added variable capacitor that Philco recommends during aligning the oscillator trimmers? I have tried to do it in the past and never could align it using their method of aligning it.  Attached pictures of the completed chassis. Thanks,  Ken

Attached Files Image(s)

Good morning everyone--I finally got the 37-116 chassis and speaker mounted in the cabinet and tested it out last night and it sounds great--excellent tone and is very loud. I have some small wrinkles in the grille cloth that still need to be straightened out but it doesn't look too bad. I polished up the cabinet but it does have cracked veneer--hope to find a nice cabinet but being the standard version it will be very difficult to find a replacement cabinet. Attached are pictures of the Philco 37-116

Attached Files Image(s)

I forgot to mention, I also replaced the bad original dial with one I got from Mark Oppat--luckily he had one left as the one from Radio Daze has the incorrect font and information missing on the dial

Hey Ken

Nice job! 
I've got the same set w/ some minor cracking down the sides. I was thinking maybe some light sanding and sealer to level it out a bit. Then a little toner if it needs it. The sets still on my todo list. May be this Winter...

Waiting on some hardware parts for four cathedral cabinets so I can tentatively put them together till Spring and refinish.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Great Job, Ken.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.