Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

39-17 Console and Radio Restoration Journal

I got a nice Father's Day surprise: a 39-17 console radio. The grill cloth appears to the original and is in excellent condition. The cabinet has a few spots where the finish was scratched off or burned by cigarettes. Other than that, no loose veneer. Like my RCA10K, I'm going to refinish with shellac by French Polishing. Good therapy, like chopping wood. Besides, I love the way the finish looks more than any other.

The brass pieces are in fair condition. I need the make a cover to the dial scale. Looks like it's just a flat piece of plastic. I need to find a dial needle that attaches to the dial-chord. It's missing. If I can't find a source for an original or a reproduction, I guess I could look at the one and make a home built one. Two pushbutton are missing so I started emailing various sources to find out if they have a couple.

The electronics look clean and fairly simple. There are a few wires that are a must replace item and some resistors that look like they may have been a tad hot. The 41 and 78 tube needs replacing.

All I need to do now is start.

Now that's a cool Father's Day present - a vintage Philco! Icon_biggrin

I, for one, am looking forward to reading more about your progress on this radio.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN