Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Alkaline or Heavy Duty batteries in our old portable radios?

I've been on a vintage solid state kick again and have been tinkering with my old Zeniths from that era. I dug out my rebuilt Royal 2000 and realized the old sets of alkaline batteries I have been using are no longer trustworthy, so I bought two six packs of heavy duty Rayovac D cells at Big Lots for a little over $10 with the tax included. My realization is that this radio and others I have were made before alkaline batteries were even a thing and will work just as well with the cheaper carbon type. I have four batteries left over and another pack will allow me to get my Royal 3000 up and going as well. Might be interesting to see how long these batteries will last in the rebuilt Zeniths compared to the alkaline D cells. $10.65 for 12 batteries is a lot cheaper than even the store brand alkaline batteries in my area and there might be stores with the Heavy Duty even cheaper yet. Shopping around right now in my area is almost dangerous with constantly angry and careless drivers. So, now to make my Royal 2000 my Christmas radio!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Doesn’t really matter what type even quality. What matters is forgetting that batteries have been left inside and the potential for leakage.

On older radios, often, there is a bypass capacitor across the battery at all times. If this capacitor is electrically leaking the battery will be slowly discharged inviting chemical leakages. This can be avoided by checking for this “phantom” current flow and correcting it.

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Never leave a battery in a radio! When you turn it off take them out. I am not happy with the way any batteries are being made at this time, brand name or store name most are JUNK! Sorry about the rant have purchased batteries and had them start leaking in a few weeks and still in the new packing.