Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chassis bolts for '30s sets

I was looking for something over in the McMaster Carr catalog and found these instead https://www.mcmaster.com/products/hex-he...eet-metal/ pn 93880A544. Look like they would be a good replacement for missing chassis to cabinet bolts for the pre '37 or so sets. I'm always either loosing them or getting sets that have missing ones or none at all. Haven't ordered yet as I just found them.

Actually I was looking for some hardware bits to put a 21, 70B, and a 90B back together. Some came a chassis w/o cabinets others needed a few things to tiddy it up or just have been around so long I've lost track of some of the bits...

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hello Terry,
those Bolts look great grainger and McMaster are great sources !

Sincerely Richard

The other thing I came up short on was the speed nuts that hold the speaker in on the Baby Grand cabinets that the speaker screws in from the rear with wood screws. These do not screw into the wooden part of the cabinet so much but into speed nuts placed between the backside of the front arch and the front panel. On a couple of my sets they were missing as was the panel.

I tried the box store but all they had was little dinky ones. The hole was the right size but the overall size was dinky. MC came thru with the proper size on both accounts. The only down side is that they only are sold in parcels of 50. Each set use 3, so for $14 you'll get a lifetime supply.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/speed-...sh-nuts-6/
Part number 90528A113

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Radioroslyn Wrote:The only down side is that they only are sold in parcels of 50. Each set use 3, so for $14 you'll get a lifetime supply.

I have often bough more of a part from McMaster-Carr than needed because the minimum quantity price was reasonable and their quality of parts has always been excellent.

Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/

The screws used the hold the front panel to backside of the coulomb/arch of the Combs style cabinet are #6 flat head wood screws 3/4" long.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The order came in and all was good but the speed nuts for the speaker are not going to work. They are the proper size on the outside but the hole in the center is just a little too big. A number 8 wood screw won't tighten down, it slips. So I've gone to plan B placed another hardware order to full my empty draws and should be in tomorrow. Along with that some new speed nuts. We'll see how that goes.

The 'A113 nuts work fine with number 10 wood screws but I was afraid to use them. #10 is pretty big and I didn't want to damage the back of the front arch.
I'm uncertain as to how the sizing works between wood, machine, and self tapping screws. Does the thread pitch matter when using a speed nut? Or is the center of the screw thinner on the tapping and wood screws so they don't fit as tightly into the speed nut? Is a #8 all always a #8 in size? This nut and screw is making my head hurt!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

When I want to use a #8 wood screw in an over-sized hole I fill the hole with some wood glue and a sliver from a piece of scrap. Now the screw fits tight and no one can see the patch.

The 70/90 front panels have a 1 inch diameter counter bore for the speaker nuts. When making a reproduction cabinet, I make 7/8 inch counter bores for the new style nuts. When making a replacement front, I always ask the customer if they have their original speed nuts, so I know what size to counter bore. One thing I have done in the past, I have used a small dab of JB Quick (the fast setting JB Weld) to hold the nuts in place until the speaker has been mounted.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Terry, one more thought. Have tried placing the large nuts on an anvil and taping the tabs in the center down to close the hole some?

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

I've got some #6's coming so going to see how those work out.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The #6's look and work just like the originals.

pn 90528A112

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry