Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 96 - I need some advise/opinions

I just HAVE to tell somebody! Icon_eek

I found this 1930 Philco Model 96 at a local *antique mall* this past Friday, 6/25. The cabinet appears to have it's original finish, and the chassis may have had some work done a LONG time ago. It plays up a storm. The dealer had it tagged *as is*!

The finish is very presentable, with only some minor signs of the lacquer drying out and cracking. I would like to clean and preserve it.

What do you guys/gals recommend/use?

I haven't done anything to the cabinet - I thought it best to ask first!

It does need a couple of cabinet items, though. Apparently, the legs are not made out of a single piece of wood. One leg is missing a glued-on piece. Also, a rectangular piece of veneer is missing on the bottom side *stand* portion of the cabinet. That's about it. (Anyone have a cabinet they're parting out?) Icon_wink

Question: Were these shipped in two sections when new? It appears there are four holes in bottom of the upper cabinet which may have been used for hold down bolts to pass through.

Thanks! Warren

Looks great. I would just clean it and wipe it down with some Restor-A-Finish.

Give the wood work a real good detail cleaning with some sort of finish cleaner before putting something like wax or Howards on it. Use toothbrushes, Q tips etc. and wipe the whole thing well so you do not seal in any crud with the treatment you give it. After cleaning before treatment, you might also elect to use a stain touchup pen of the proper color to darken any light scratches. Wipe off any excess.