Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

91D restoration

We really need OEM controls decal data, sizes, positioning, etc for our 91D just starting a cautious restoration now.

Existing decals all rubbed of decades ago around the knobs except a little of the centered Philco logo. Cabinet seems real good as is - but we are amateurs.

Also - ANY suggestions on cabinet cleaning, etc. are welcomed.

Chassis (noted as Type 18, Code 121 w/ a single external phono and switch connection located on the rear back side of the cabinet) and the radio's speaker / board were just dropped of at a local Twin Cities antique radio shop for repairs / refurbishment, etc.

Thanks Icon_biggrin

chbpe

Referring to the Model 91 pictures on Ron's site, there is only one decal - PHILCO - right between the bottom of the escutcheon and the tuning knob on all Model 91 cabinet variations. Dimensions approximately 1-1/2" long by 5/16" high.

Chuck

Use DCL-PH8 from Radio Daze. Not exact, but a decent looking replacement.

Please do NOT use the DCL-PH1, PH2, PH3, PH7 or PH9 decals. Wrong font, wrong look, they look terrible; nothing at all like the originals. Why more people have not complained about this is beyond me. I cringe every time I see one of those decals on a refinished Philco.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks guys for the guidance on the decals!

Are there any identifying markers intended to be around or near any of the controls? Nothing there now remains.

We can figure out what they are for perhaps after the radio is fixed I guess - but it would be just that.

Maybe an old or reprinted owners's manual ...

Also any suggestions on careful refurbishment of the cabinet othet than Howards?

Thanks again all -

SP

No, the PHILCO trademark is the only decal on the cabinet. The owner's manual would have described the individual controls (knobs) and the function of each.

Owner's manuals were, as Chuck has stated in another thread, usually lost or thrown away by the original owner. These are very difficult if not impossible to find.

In regards to the cabinet. What kind of shape is it in overall? Dull in places? Scratched up? Beaten up? No finish? This would go a long way towards anyone offering any good advice. Perhaps if you could post some pictures?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron:

Thanks for your help and time!

Hope this works ...

Now that is a nice looking cabinet!

Howard's Restore-A-Finish should make your cabinet look even better. I certainly would not strip and refinish that one.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks all!

Ron - what color Howard's Restore-A-Finish would you recommend?

On my way to Home Depot .....

Walnut.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

In process now on the cabinet. Chassis Model 18 is being reworked now by pro.

Does fron speaker board come off to gain access to the screws holding on the tuning bezel surround?

Metal looks like it could use some cleaning and may want to be seperated from the wood backing.

Also can we conclude this is a 91D as opposed to an 18D?

Chassis says 18 and looks different from 91 chassis.

Thanks -

This is obviously an 18D, not a 91D. If it were a 91D, it would have a 91 chassis inside.

Regardless, it is a very nice looking set and will be even better when it is up and running. I have the cathedral version of your radio (18B), and it is a great performer.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks, Ron. Much appreciated!

If you can point us now towards more details on the 18D on the net etc. it would be great!

Also - do you know if / how that front panel can be removed to get at the screws holding on the metal tuning bezel?

Icon_biggrin

Sorry, I forgot to address your question about the escutcheon.

Assuming you are speaking of the brass piece surrounding the set's dial and shadow meter...It is held on by three screws, easily accessible from the front. Two near the top, one at the bottom. Just unscrew these small screws and remove the escutcheon. No need to look for something inside the cabinet to remove the escutcheon.

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/..._bezel.jpg]

The three screws are what the three white lines in the photo above are pointing to.

This is a close-up of my 18B. More info on your 18D may be found here:

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1933c.htm#l

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron:

You were exactly right (you probably get that a lot).

Also - the front door pulls also have very small brads holding then to the front of the doors as well as the obvious screws through each to the back of the doors.

Wood cleaning starting today with the Howard's Restore-a-finish (walnut).

Any thoughts on how to clean the now removed the brass piece surrounding the set's dial and shadow meter and door pulls?

Howard's works great - but fine scratches on the top remain visible.

Some gouges seen in the pics on the front look a lot better but those fine top scratches have me wondering (?).

Will try Brasso on the pulls tomorrow unless advised otherwise.