Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Meet Phrank, my Phranken-Philco 116X

So this is my " Phirst " post and also a continuation from this previous thread: 

Unusual 116X Console (philcoradio.com)

I recently acquired this radio from fellow PP member " radioray ", a very nice gentleman by the way.  It was complete and the cabinet was beautifully restored, but it was not in working condition. After a trip to my local radio repair tech, I am happy to say that it is back with me and working once again, even the Shadow Meter works!!  It sounds as good as it looks!!!! 
I hold a special place in my heart for Philco's, my grandfather's family business sold and delivered Philco radios all over the Southeast of Pennsylvania and it remind me of him every time I fire her up.  I see myself acquiring many more Philco's in the future.........

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Welcome!

Why PhrankenPhilco? The sole non-original item I see is the band switch knob.
Great looking set, the chassis is 116, as well as the cabinet; the speaker and the clarifiers are OK too.
Not even close to what we here call Phrankens.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Mike - What's the purpose of that toggle switch on the back of the chassis?

Rod

As I do not own a 116, or 116X, I am not sure.

In 16, there is that Intestation noise suppress switch and also a pot.
However, the pot (on the side of 116X) is for the hum suppression (the filament centerpoint).
so I am not sure if they have that function.

From the location of it, I suspect that maybe the power switch on the pot got bad, and this is how they fixed it. Especially from its proximity to the power cord.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Sorry all. Forgot to mention that the toggle is for an AUX jack. I like to listen to my local FM sports radio talk show through an app on my phone. My radio repair guy made sure it was an old-style switch, so it looks more period correct.

Well, as suspected, that was not original. Icon_smile

See, 16, being the predecessor of 116 series, had the same type switch, usually mount on a side of the cabinet. That would turn interstation noise suppression On/Off and worked through the AVC circuit. Tthere was also a pot in the back, that would adjust the level of this function.
What it did was, when you tune, you listen to all kind of noise, so in the absence of a usable signal the circuit would suppess the noise while tfuning between stations, so the radio would be quiet until having acquired a station.

No sir

" Why PhrankenPhilco? The sole non-original item I see is the band switch knob.
Great looking set, the chassis is 116, as well as the cabinet; the speaker and the clarifiers are OK too.
Not even close to what we here call Phrankens. "

I was just going off what people were saying in the original post of this radio :-)

https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...light=116x

Well, if Ron called it so, I am ok with it Icon_smile
But it is not as Phrankenny as what usually gets to be called that name. Icon_smile It is a bit Frankish...
If the factory deemed it worthy Icon_lol

Hello volkswagenman66 ,
nice Console !

Sincerely Richard

Hi and welcome to the Phorum!

I'm VW friendly and Philco phriendly. Sold VW parts for abt 6 years till abt '81 or so. Had a bunch of early ones '51, '55, conv, 3-'56, & '66 Ghia conv. 

Mike, The 116 is different from the 4 band 16. 116 has 5 bands and the 116B (tombstone) uses p/p triode connected 42's. The 116X same chassis but bigger pt uses p/p 6A3's. About the only different between it and the 37-116X are the mag tuning and the variable selectivity. Oh and the QAVC circuit Philco only used it in '33-'34.

There are lots of smart guys around here that can help you out with any question you may have about your set. I've worked on a few of them over the years. 

OBTW You mentioned the bandswitch knob isn't the proper one but it is. It was used on some of the 1936 sets. It's also seen on some of Philco's test equipment. I have them on all of my 116 sets (3 of them).

Have fun w/your new acquisition!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the reply Radioroslyn! Sounds like you had quite the collection of VW's. I've had: 1961 ragtop, 1966 and 1971 standard, 1973 Super Beetle and 1965 11 window bus. I have also officially named my 116X Phrank :-)

I took a quick look over in the librrary and found this:  Philco 116X Instructions – Philco Library (philcoradio.com) Don't know if you have seen it or have an original but just thought I would bring it to your attention. 

The VW's that I had were in the '70s-'80's so it's been a while. Every once in a while, I'll watch a yt vid of some rebuilding one. Parts get laid out and I know where they all go and what years they fit. Early Kombi's (sp) or split windows are fun to watch too.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry,

Yes I know they are different. Even various 16 chassis are different. What I meant, since it still is 116, it is only partly Phrank Icon_smile