Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

70 cathedral speaker baffle/plate?

I don't suppose anyone out there has an accurate tracing of the sort of heart-shaped baffle or plate that the 70 loudspeaker mounts on? I have a good playing set but the repairman or whoever reworked it, did not install that part in the cabinet under the speaker. I would like to make a repro for eventual installation. I would assume an original or repro would be quite expensive. Thanks, Tom

Hello Tom:

Here's a link to a reproduction "cloth frame" for a Philco 70: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.retro-tronics.com/itemDetails.php?shortDesc=Philco+70+Grill+Cloth+Frame">http://www.retro-tronics.com/itemDetail ... loth+Frame</a><!-- m -->

I'll have my Philco 70 apart in a week or so and could trace my tattered cloth frame.

Allen

Thanks. Well the ad you linked to has them selling them for a dollar less than they are selling them on fleabay. Looking at photos of the insides of the radios in listings, they look to be either a tan natural finish or black. Some sort of thin board material? I was hoping to make a one-off repro from some materials here, and save the money with my labor. But if nothing turns up I will just have to buy one of those I guess. I am not sure why the restorer left one out of this 70 that I have but it does not seem to have much impact on sound, I covered the gaps and hear little difference. I guess it does hold the grille cloth flat though. And prevents the pilot light shining thru the grille cloth in the dark!

BTW I learned a valuable lesson about 80 rectifiers last night. Apparently some of the sockets are sloppy. I had the tubes out to test and was working in dim light. I was sorta putting the 80 back in the radio by feel. Well the holes were sloppy enough that the tube slid right in 90 degrees off! When I powered up, POP! went something, and lots of smoke rolled out. That made me feel really bummed. Foolish mistake. One of the under chassis replacement 10 UF filters had blown. I disconnected it and it still played good with one filter cap! Not alot of hum like I expected. But I got two new caps on the way. And will mark the dang tube for alignment!