Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unusual High Boy console

Good day fellow members. I have the opportunity to purchase this unusual Console. The owner says it is a model 116E. However I cannot find the identical radio on the philcoradio website or on the internet, to date it or get any other info. It has a record player in the top.

Possibly one of you fine people will recognise this model and can enlighten me?

Attached Files Image(s)

Not sure what it is; the escutcheon was used in 1933 on 14X/18X radios. Bit this lowboy...I am not even sure if it is a Philco.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Looks like sliding doors from left and right. Did Philco have an escutcheon with figures?

I am of no help on the ID of the radio. But love the style of the cabinet. If you can look at the back inside of the set and see if there are any notes or business cards that might give info about its past. David

+1 David. But not a 116E perhaps an early 16 5 band model.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That cabinet looks familiar, I don't think it's a Philco one though unless someone in South Africa was importing chassis and building their own cabinets. Most of the Philco highboys, with doors, have the doors swing open, not slide. Could it be a Stromberg Carlson or a Fada cabinet?
Regards
Arran

Rod

Those I listed

18X
https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1933d/#Model_18X

14X
https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1933d/#Model_14X

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

The radio was sold by a well known music shop, that sold musical instruments, radios and gramophones, having been established in 1902.

The escutcheon does look very similar ( but not identical) to the 14X and 18X. The fluted leg design is very similar to the model 44H shown by Rod.
The missing Philco decal could be due to a restoration at some time in the past I suppose. The knobs appear to be original too.
It may also have been an Export model only ( possibly the E stands for Export?). I am aware that many manufacturers did this - I have a Zenith that was only sold as an export model. RCA also produced export models that never appeared in the UK or USA home markets.

I have requested additional photos of the internals and chassis and will send any further info that I get.

Thanks for the help so far. It is certainly a lovely piece of "radio furniture" and still works, which is a bonus.

I agree w/Mike but if you look at the perspective from the bottom of the dial to the bottom of the shadow meter that's where I disagree. Both the 14 and 18 chassis are 2 band, bcb and police. If you look at the space given for dial on the set in question it's way bigger than the space require for 2 band unless print is over size.

Don't think it's a 116 series as all of those had a planetary drive with two concentric knobs a long with the 4 band model 16's. The early (1st gen 16's) had a 2 speed dial drive system but it used one knob like this set. They also were 5 band sets which would account for the large dial opening. I'm unfamiliar with escutcheon, I don't think I seen it on a US set. It might have been an export idem or produced in the UK.

All in all there just isn't enough information/photos to make an exact pronouncement as to what this is.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The design of the legs look very similar to the 211 radio/phono and the 44H...a bit of each in this design.

Thanks to all that commented so far. 

I have attached photos of the chassis that may help. The plate shows it to be a 16E chassis. 

I called the company that became the successor to the one that sold it, but they have no info on what was sold in the 1930's or whether the cases were locally made.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm by no mean a Philco Expert, but I believe seeing a metal tag on the chassis ID's it as a Canadian model.....   It's a great looking console. I would buy iy unless it was way over priced.

The model plate also says 230 volts. I'm thinking export radio for Europe perhaps. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Garyl

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

It's going to be something close to this US model  https://philcoradio.com/library/download...20165B.pdf

The 503 would be the equivalent US cabinet w/a phono and the 16 chassis. https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1934a/#..._504L_505L

GL

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank you for all your valuable input. Much appreciated!

It turns out that a friend of mine knows the seller and the radio and it's previous owner. He is very knowledge and has assured me that the radio is an original imported model and in excellent condition.

I have paid for it and will collect next week.

If anyone is interested, I will take clearer and more detailed photos and post them on this chat. It may add value to the data on Philco export models.

Thanks once again for the interest shown and the advice and data.