Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 48-1276 Tuner will only move 1/2 way

Hello all,
I've been restoring a beautiful Philco 48-1276.  Unfortunately the tuner was completely locked up. After much cleaning and lubricating, i was able to get the tuner to move. I can get the tuner to move all the way to the right but only 1/2 way to the left. This radio has a very complicated gearing setup that allows you to auto-tune the radio.  Has anyone had experience with this tuner and can let me know why I can only get it to move 1/2 of the way?

Thanks! 
Lane Brewer

The Sheraton, one of my bucket list ones.....a great radio.

By the tuner moving half-way, do you know if it is the condenser itself that is frozen or the pulley system is slipping?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

As of today, I’ve finally fixed the problem. The tuner is connected to a set of 64 “plates” that make up the radio push button section. This set up involves a number of plates and gears and needs to turn freely. Fixing this required taking a lot of pictures and doing a total disassembly and cleaning. The original lubricants had solidified, glueing the plates together. Only took me 4 days and 6 assembly tries to get it back together. I was hoping for an easy fix but got a good learning experience instead.

Hello J.brewer,
Wow it sounds like you really took quite undertaking on with this project so next time it should be a breeze for you !

Sincerely Richard