Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Phonorama B1756

Hi everyone,

First of all I'm completely new into this world, but I feel really excited about it.

My grandmother gave me this Phonorama before passing away. I have been researching and it's a Philco Phonorama B1756 from 1954. I'm from Chile and, according to her and my mom, there were only two imported when my grandfather bought it.

The wood is absolutely beautiful, and according to what I have researched, it was top of the line back then. When I was I kid I remember we turned it on once and it worked, but now the chord is in bad condition, so I must to replace it. I want to take the challenge and make this beauty sing again, but have zero knowledge of electronics. Where should I start? Does anyone have a pdf version of the service manual?

Any further information about it would be much appreciated.

Update:

I changed both chords and the record changer works, but no sound goes through the speaker.
The amp and radio do turn on too, but the frequency selector doesn't work. When switching between AM/FM the speaker does make a hum, so I assume it should be working.
Will have to isolate the issue with the record changer, it could be anything from the coil to the amp I believe.
I would appreciate any recommendations!

Welcome to the Phorum.  First of all DON'T power it up any more until some capacitors are replaced.  Your Phonorama has at least 5.  If one or more of these fault, they can take out your power transformer or other expensive parts.  If you have no electronic experience, I suggest you find a radio club near you or a radio restoration person near you.  Here is some information on your Phonorama.  Good Luck!!
Phonorama B-1756 Radio Philco, Philadelphia Stg. Batt. Co.; | Radiomuseum.org