Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Airline 62-261 Movie Dial lamp

Good Evening!  I’m restoring this radio, and the dial lamp needed is a Wards #62-5517.  It looks like a tail light from a ‘60’s automobile, bayonet base with one contact on the base bottom.  The lamp that’s in there is a GE #1633, rated at 6.8v and 1.3a. It gets its power from the 6.3v heater windings. I always thought that the lamps current draw should match the tubes current ratings. Is that correct? I can’t find the specs for the OEM Wards lamp, nor can I find a bayonet based 6-7 volt lamp in the 300ma range.  Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

They use a #81 automotive bulb

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

I don't have a print for that set. If the pilot lamp is across the filament secondary its current draw doesn't matter. The lamp current has to match the tube filament current only when they are in series (a "series string"), which is seen in transformer-less sets when the series string is directly across the mains and drops 115 volts.

Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/

Gary & Dale,

Thank you for the answer! The Rider schematic was unclear as to the bulbs characteristics.

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Ay 1.3 amps that seems a bit high for what is just a pilot lamp, it will still work of course but why tax the power transformer when you do not have to? I would see if you can find one with a lower current rating, or an LED substitute, as Dale mentioned the current rating isn't critical in a transformer set as in a series string, so going lower or slightly higher will still work.
Regards
Arran