Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-230

Does anyone have an easy or simple method of removing the compression latches shown in the pictures here? When I have come across them I have had to mangle them off and replace them. These are pushed down on Bakelite posts so I am concerned about handling too roughly. Appreciate any tips. George

Attached Files Image(s)

George - Berthoud, Colorado.  Learned tube receiver repair and troubleshooting in the Navy way back when, came back around to it as an old guy.  Re-learning all I can.  Doing my part to restore a few of these old gems.

Hello George,
Well I have that same issue with my set when I get around to restoring and I am not going to even try removing them because fear of breaking the plastic posts off .

Sincerely Richard

Thanks Richard, I came to the same conclusion.  I gently tried one of them and gave up.  I wanted to clean that waffle grill separately due to a lot of grime in each tiny square.  I ended up washing and q-tip cleaning without removing it, best I could.

George - Berthoud, Colorado.  Learned tube receiver repair and troubleshooting in the Navy way back when, came back around to it as an old guy.  Re-learning all I can.  Doing my part to restore a few of these old gems.

Hi guys, I had the same issue with the bezel on my 41-221. I used a jewelers screwdriver and a small flat blade screwdriver to get under the clip next to the center. Work one side then the other. It will slowly get looser. I removed all six this way. The main thing is to use a short screwdriver with the thinnest blade.

For the round clips I use a spring hook to hook the center teeth at the post and pull up at the center, working one side then the other.

Hi Rod, that’s great feedback. I’ll try that. I had success similar to that on a D-655 Sportster. That was a metal shaft. I’m nervous about breaking these Bakelite shafts on the 48-230.