Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-1203 Code 122

Ok- Wooden Philco number 6 has just made it to my doorstep- a 46-1203 Code 122: my first postwar wooden, as well as first Philco Phonograph. Have yet to give her a look over. Got her from a friend(in trade for some repair work of a simple nature on a bat-box(Motorola) bakelite. )

Any interesting thoughts here?

And is the finish on this one a "photo finish" type? The dark finish is flaking off, to reveal a very light wood underneath, almost paper thin veneer, so it would seem to be so to me. But I thought I'd as the experts!

And I found an interesting 37-620 tombstone in an antique for $175. But I have to find the money first...

Thanks! Scott

(back to the 37-650 issues after finding the new one a parking spot in the apartment)

Old Cars, Old Radios, Old Pipes and Young Women... What more is there?

Robbie I think from all that I have seen and the one that I have that it is wood and not photofinish. I am sure these were toned so that would explain the dark lacquer flaking off, Toned and Aged. Most of these radios are darker than there were when they left the factory because the finish is open (paint technology term) and they could and would aborb cigarette smoke, cooking smoke etc over extended time. You see a ton of them on ebay and if restored well they sell very well (price is usally >$100)

Thanks for the reply- How hard would it be to redo this finish then? It is still mostly there, but if I were to redo any, I'd want to refinish the whole case, so it would match. This radio used to be in perfect condition- the friend I got it from has had it for over 20 years, and it was minty when he got it(as a kid) and is still great, except for the flaking. I gave it a quick check last night- and only get a heavy hum, so I suspect my favorite culprits: condensors... Switched it right back off.(I checked for nesting, obvious issues first, of course) Chassis looks right pretty...

Project after #5. It is now in line for repair! One of these days I have to get a formal order of repair going!

Scott

Robbie I had to go double check on mine, the top, base, dial faceplate and grillework are white wood. The main body is veneer. I would use natural walnut to stain the white wood and tone the veneer to match. I need to do mine also so that is what I will do, if you look at the pictures on my link of the 38-2 and unknown radio I may not be the best at cabinet restoration but I'm not the worst. It appears that the top edge is darker than the faceplate also seemed darker so you may want to stain these a dark walnut but that would be a judgement call on how you like the look.

Looks like a pretty nice job! I have to do that with most of mine...

Scott