Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 650X Phinally Phinished

I have owned this console since my grandmother passed away in 1964. I knew it wasn't working so it got put in the basement for a while then at some point I removed the chassis and was overwhelmed. Chassis went into a box and the cabinet stayed in the basement, both for future consideration. I got around to looking at restoration when we moved and rediscovered the chassis. That's when I discovered the Phorum and all the resources it has.

To my dismay, there was 3 open transformer primaries, RF, Audio and OPT. The speaker cone was trash. So I knew this would be a long haul. In addition, the cabinet veneer was peeling away at the seams on the front curve and some of the vertical columns were damaged.

In the summer of 2017 I spent almost 3 months stripping and reconstructing the cabinet and one other console radio cabinet. Then started off and on with the chassis. After salvaging parts from two other chassis and rewiring I had a working radio. I just finished putting on the finishing touches and it sounds very nice and is very sensitive.

For anyone interested, I will be posting some of the left-over 650 parts for sale.

This is a beautiful radio. Plus a family heirloom.
Great job, Rod.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Great job, Rod! Grandma is smiling. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Hello Rod,
Wow, that looks great !

Sincerely Richard

Very nice! Icon_thumbup

Super deluxe.....Paul

Tubetalk1

Looks Great!  Nice Job....

Well done.