Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[split] Realistic STA-225

Hi all! New member here! I'm resurrecting an almost 4-year old thread, as I've joined the ranks as a proud owner of this STA-225 receiver! Honestly, this was the last forum I would have expected to find such a wonderful post on this receiver! I'm glad I found it! Anyway, here are some pictures of my newly acquired STA-225. The receiver went straight from the shipping box to my commercial-grade Pitney Bowes scale to check the weight. Impressive! I was pleasantly surprised to see how nice the dial lights looked, as the original eBay pictures suggested they needed to be replaced! I already have some questions, but I would like to know if I should post them here or start a new topic. Thanks for having me here! I just noticed that I don't see anywhere to include pictures. Could that be because I'm a new member?

Mark

Welcome to the Phorum, Mark. I've split your thread off from the original. Post all your questions and comments within your own thread. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Now that our Super Moderator, Gary, has gotten me squared away, let's try this again! I found this forum while Googling "Realistic STA-225" and found an excellent write up from member Ron Ramirez, which can be found... HERE

I just began to work on my STA-225 by replacing the original incandescent dial lamps and "Auto Magic" lamp with LEDs, which already caused an issue! More on that later! First, here's some pictures I took of the STA-225 after I unboxed it! A nice heavy vintage receiver! The original lamps still cast a nice glow! When I turned on Auto Magic and touched the tuning knob, it does disconnect. I'll get to my issues soon, but first, thanks for letting me be a new member of your community!

Hello Mark. This original thread was the workings of Ron Ramirez, our founder of the Phorum. Sadly, he passed a few months ago after a lengthy medical issue. Work is being done as we type to digitize and store all artifacts and collections Ron amassed over the years for all to appreciate. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Sliders for Volume, love it. Paul

Tubetalk1

Hello Mark,
Welcome Aboard and that model of realistic is a nice stereo I have worked on them in the past since I got radio shack repairs since my shop was right down the street from one of their stores .

Sincerely Richard

Hi Richard!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm still in the process of using my de-soldering station to remove parts that I'll be replacing. Due to the way the STA-225 is assembled, it certainly isn't the easiest receiver to work on! I need to post pictures of my work! There are issues with the Auto Magic function and, once I get parts replaced, I'll post more about these issues and hoping that some members here will be able to help with a fix!

Mark

Sorry for the long delay in posting more pictures! So many other projects going on right now! Here are some pictures to show my progress so far. The interior is somewhat on the dirty side! The receiver does play well, with the only issue being the Auto-Magic tuning. When you touch the tuning knob, it does engage (turns green). I tune in a station, but when I let go of the knob, it de-tunes and can't lock onto the station. The receiver works just fine with Auto-Magic disengaged!  I'm sure I'll need help from members here to troubleshoot the issue. I'll post more pictures soon, showing the parts that I've already removed for replacement and/or cleaning. BTW, all the original Sony output transistors are accounted for!

Mark

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello mark,
Yes, it does look a little dirty and that is good it has original transistors.
Far as projects go, I know how you feel between my full-time job and the weather warming up so that means irrigation and yard work plus I need to do work outside the house. So, my Philco 38-10t has been finally getting some attention plus do work on items for others too.
Sincerely Richard