Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 71 code 225? Should I restore or sell as is??

Hi there,
I'm not a radio buff..but I love old stuff!!..I have a Philco chassis model71 code 225...it needs a little work/refinishing. It worked the last time I plugged it in...about 2 years ago. I'm wondering if it is worth it to refinish or should I sell it as is? How much could I expect to get both ways? Or how much would it cost to refinish? I would love to refinish and keep it, because I used it alot growing up and I have nice memories....but with tough times...I will.. regretfully, sell itIcon_sad
Any advise would be appreciated!!
Thanks

My thought would be, if you grew up with it and have fond memories, keep it! When I grew up, we had an RCA console radio. I don't know what ever happened to it but I wish I had it now. I'm not sure what model it was. So hang on to your radio if you can.
Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Smart money says that if you aren't familiar with old radios then it would probably be a bad idea to do anything to it in hopes of increasing its value. I've seen too many examples of things that have been redone by professional 'furniture' restorers that ruined the item from a 'radio' collector perspective. (Coloring, finish type, etc). A radio is not an old chair Icon_smile

That said, if you were to find a real radio restorer the cost would rarely be recouped upon resale.

If you're intent on selling it I'd recommend doing so as-is. Original examples often are more desirable than a refurbed example - particularly so if the refurb is short on authentic details.

Guessing dollar values is out of the question without seeing photos. (Is my girlfriend pretty?) Icon_wink

If general, you won't make much money on a quick flip, especially if it is a one time deal and you are new to refinishing.
To make money on radios, you need to be excellent at refinishing woodwork and sell to the yuppies on eBay who get stupid over deep glossy piano grade finishes.
Fellow collectors are notoriously cheap. I'd sell as-is or keep. You won't get rich selling it.

Out of room, still dragging 'em home