Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-1262 speaker hook up mystery

Hello, I have a 48-1262 radio/phonograph that I bought and there was no phonograph or speaker. I have found what cables power the phonograph and the coaxil cable for stylus input, but really not sure where the speaker was hooked-up. Also does anyone know what the original turntable looked like or another that would make a replacement.
Thanks
David

The phono changer is a model D-10.

[Image: http://www.philcorepairbench.com/images/D-10changer.jpg]

The speaker is PM type speaker, 3-4 ohms impedance. The audio output transformer is mounted to the rear apron of the chassis, to the right, as you face the chassis rear. Just to the right of the power cord entrance grommet. The primary connects to the output plate, pin 3 and the other end ties to the junction of R100 and R101.

One transformer secondary lead is grounded to the chassis and the other lead went to the speaker. The other speaker voice coil wire also came back to the same ground point as the secondary lead.

The transformer part number is 32-8242-3. It has a primary winding D.C. resistance (not impedance) of 500 ohms and the secondary D.C. resistance (not impedance) is 10 ohms. A universal output transformer sold by Antique Electronic Supply should work fine.

You really know your Philcos. Any idea where to find the record changer?
Thanks
David

Chuck- Is that the same one for a 46-1203?

Scott

PS- One of these days I will actually have the money to send you so I can get all the Philco sheets I need- I am in between jobs, and the last one I took I made nothing at! Literally!

Old Cars, Old Radios, Old Pipes and Young Women... What more is there?

GRIZZY68 Wrote:You really know your Philcos. Any idea where to find the record changer?
Thanks
David

Antique radio swap meets and hamfests in your area, evil-Bay, yard sales, estate sales, antique malls and shows.....the WANTED section of this Phorum... Icon_rolleyes

What type of capacitors would you recommend for the Philco chassis. I did notice there are a couple larger multiple capacitors and there are a few paper capacitors that have black wire wrapped around them, it appears to have been original. Why did they do that, and if I replace those capictors will I need to wrap wire around them again?
Thanks
David

Robbie Roberts Wrote:Chuck- Is that the same one for a 46-1203?

Scott

Yes, it is Scott. The D-10 was used in many of the 1946, 47 and 48 radio-phono models.

GRIZZY68 Wrote:What type of capacitors would you recommend for the Philco chassis. I did notice there are a couple larger multiple capacitors and there are a few paper capacitors that have black wire wrapped around them, it appears to have been original. Why did they do that, and if I replace those capictors will I need to wrap wire around them again?
Thanks
David

Here's the "skinny" on those coil/cap components:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip37.htm
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip37a.htm

Tip 37A is most relavent to your situation.

Very interesting. There are two on the this chassis and according to tip37a it would be fine to put in the new capacitors witout the coil with little or no effect. Effect to what?

The title of the Service Tip says it. Read on.... Icon_smile

Leaving the wire coils off won't hurt - see Service Tip.

Thanks, I will pick up some capacitors this weekend and get to work...I live in Maryland and they are calling for a noreaster. A blizzard is the best time to be stuck inside with all my radios...LOL
David