Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help Refinish 46-1209 Newbee!

i stripped the whole cabinet. i see all kinds of wood and verneer. on top walunt verneer i went to deep in one spot, could have cried. what can i do to hide this mark? top ends look like popler. top band front and sides look like some burl. do i stain first then spray laqueer? can someone steer me in the right direction, before i screw it up. thanks for any HELP. Rich[attachment=2]

Wish you had of ask before you touched it. Do not ever sand on theses old sets. Use stripping compound . I would finish stripping it with some stripeaze ,ect.
then stain again spray ect. Could try to use some restore a finish. But on that gouge will probaly have to sand with some fine sand paper to smooth it out some.
What grit did you use looks like maybe 80 or something . That is a real no no. There will be others jump in on this. Icon_biggrin
Kent.

Agree with all that has been said. Regular sandpaper is only useful on solid wood.

I would try some artist's oils with a very fine brush to touch up the color; when you are happy let it dry for a week, and then mask and spray with tinted laquer to match examples of cabinetry of similar models available on this forum.

It would probably be easier if you ended up with a shade a little darker than the original, as it is the "grey" scale is a little less apparent than the hue. The laquer will adjust the "shine" which can be rubbed down with pumice and water after a few coats, or enhanced with paste wax.

Hope this helps

the mark on top (first pic) is not deep. just thru the verneer. should i stain the whole thing dark and spray laquer? or no stain at all. just tinted laquer? thanks Rich
Icon_redface Icon_redface Icon_redface my bad! ! ! !

I would try to stay with original as possible. On the spot try mixing shades till you get it close. Stain the whole set , then top coat.
But since you started sanding finish it with some fine paper . Only where you have all ready sanded. Main thing take your time. Icon_wink .
Kent. ASK MORE IF NEEDED. Icon_biggrin

Many Thanks, finished Philco pics to come. Rich Icon_razz

There should normally be no need to stain, since the factory did not use stains; they used tinted lacquer.

I see three mistakes here:

1. You should use a good finish remover/stripper instead of sanding a finish off;
2. Never use sandpaper with a low number grit (coarse); and
3. If you must sand, always do so with the grain, never across the grain.

Only extra fine sandpaper on the order of 400 grit or better should ever be used on a radio cabinet, and that only as light sanding after every three or so coats of lacquer to level the finish, not to go through it.

In this case, it looks like you have the choice of either trying to replace veneer where it has been sanded through, or stain just the bad spots, seal, and lacquer the entire cabinet. The spots will always show, unfortunately.

We have toning lacquer available to us today, to replicate the colors originally used at the factory. It can be difficult to find. Do a Google search for Pond Cove Paint; they sell every color Mohawk makes.

These things happen. And I am no refinishing expert by any means. In fact I would rather work on chassis than cabinets.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

you say seal, and lacquer the entire cabinet. please explain what type seal do i use? thanks Rich

Sorry...

Lacquer sanding sealer would be good. Mohawk makes this also, and there is a sanding sealer made by Deft that might be easier to find.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks, Ron. Much help. Icon_biggrin