Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Veneer for a Model 87 Philco

Hello All...
This is my first post and my first Radio Restore... I have a Philco Model 87 that I have recently electronicly Restored.. It plays well.. But The cabinet has need of veneer.. it needs a complete top and the part at the bottom front.. I also need the scrollwork there also... actually just half as one have is there.. My question is what kind of veneer is used on this model.. and where could I get the scrollwork that is damaged or how to reproduce it.. I am new to cabinet restoration.. any help would be appreciated.. and thanks in advance...

Mike

Hello and welcome!

Walnut veneer was originally used; nothing fancy on the top, or on the bottom piece behind the decorative molding on bottom front, just plain walnut.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Mike & Welcome!
I had a model 87 back in the '60's I got at a estate sale. It too needed a top. At the time my mom knew a cabinet maker that replaced it for us (I was in my early teens back then). Great set ! I have a tv friend Bob Anderson who has had a few videos on youtube about veneer replacement. Currently he is replacing the top on a 1949 Philco 12" B/W tv . Lots of good tips!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHWYMuP2Jl4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVDLDxS3Cs
Enjoy
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The scrollwork appears to be made of a synthetic wood. Carefully pry the scrollwork off with a wide scraper, being extra careful where the brads hold the ends of the scrolls. There were six brads holding mine in place. I think you can duplicate it with bondo, plaster of paris, or water putty. I was able to successfully remove the scrollwork off of one cabinet with only one break (I had purchased two extra 87's so I could restore mine). The scrolling was glued and nailed to the cabinet. The scrolling came off in pieces from the other two cabinets. If this won't work, I can send you a drawing of the complete scrollwork.