Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco FM tuning 47-1227

All, After nearly a year of tinkering I've finally got my first radio restoration finished. The Philco 47-1227 had under gone a complete meltdown 35 years ago. The chassis looked like it had been hit with a blow torch. I found a used power transformer and recapped and re-wired the unit. When I fired it up I was surprised to find that it worked. However, I've got a weird FM tuning problem. The AM works great and when I sweep the dial from left to right I can pick up all the available stations, when I sweep the dial from right to left I also pick up all the stations. The FM is a different story, I can pick up all the stations when I sweep the dial from left to the right, but when I go from right to left the radio goes completely silent. Once I go to the left and change directions everything works again. I’ll pull it out of the cabinet tomorrow to see if I can find the problem. Any suggestions on where to look? As I mentioned earlier this is my first radio I've worked on.
Thanks in advance.
Keith

Check the tuning condenser for looseness. Maybe the terminals are shorting to the chassis at the low end of the dial. Or perhaps a bad connection.
Seems like a you have a mechanical problem rather than an electronic one.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I'm confused. Does the FM use the same tuning capacitor as the AM. And if yes, shouldn't I have this problem on AM as well? Can I use some sort of cleaner on movable plates?
Thanks,
Keith

There are separate tuning gangs for FM. They have fewer plates, and these you can check for shorts by sliding a piece of paper between the rotors and stators. If it rubs, you know which one needs to be bent back .