Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Where to begin???

I'm just getting started on my very first restoration -- a Model 60B. Cabinet is in excellent shape. I have no way to evaluate the condition of the chassis, since I've been warned not to try to fire it up without first checking capacitors. If you were an absolute newbie like me, with not a whole lot of experience repairing electronics but a desire to learn, where would you begin? Would you suggest reading one of the books on radio repair that are listed in the website or on Amazon, or should I start poking around with a multimeter to see what needs to be replaced? Or just assume all the capacitors are shot and replace them all before flipping it on? Thanks in advance for whatever guidance you can provide! Gary_James

Read here.

http://antiqueradio.org/begin.htm
Books are always great but in the case of a Philco 60 you can presume that all the caps should be replaced. No point in checking them. You can go thru them later after the radio is working to learn about the typical faults. The book won't address it like that Icon_smile That will get you 90% of the way towards restoring it. If it doesn't work after that then its time to go to the book or come here to sort out specific problems.

Dive in. The water is fine!

-Bill

Agree with Exray. And would add Check the resistors in the HV circuits. Those seem to be the one that drift the most. The oscillator feedback or tickler winding on these set has a high rate of failer from corrosion. Not to worry it's an easy fix. Diagram can be found here http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013793.pdf
Keep us posted
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Welcome, Gary!

I can only add the following to the excellent advice you've already received: You can count on the antenna coil primary to also be bad, as will the oscillator coil primary winding as Terry has indicated. Neither one is hard to fix.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN