Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for another Phono crystal cartridge rebuilder !

Does anyone have another source that rebuilds those old crystal phonograph cartridges ! I have used West-Tech, way back when they were down in Florida, having good looking , working products , but as of late "Gib" at West-Tech, in Ohio, appears to do the repair work at his own leasure, with a long waiting period on the finished product , and the physical appearance , leaves much to be desired, especially if you ever intend to sell your radio/phonograph ! And then their is the NO response to e-mails or phone calls for weeks at a time or in my case, never did get a response !
Someone else must also be doing that service, any ideas ? Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL. 815-744-1051

I'm not aware of anyone else doing this work.

I just had a cartridge from an RCA-Seeburg changer rebuilt by West-Tech a few weeks ago. The turnaround was amazingly fast, and the cartridge works very well indeed. It looks fine to me; the only difference I saw in its appearance was the replacement of the rivets originally used. It does not matter to me if they replaced the rivets with screws.

I think your only alternative is to try rebuilding it yourself using Syl Vanier's instructions here on the Phorum:

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=1019

I plan to try it myself sometime using Syl's instructions. I had West-Tech do this one for two reasons: I wanted to play Christmas records on my Magnavox Regency Symphony, and I haven't quite worked up the courage to tackle such a project.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron,
It has been awhile since we last talked, as I remember it was over the same rebuilding issues ! The screw issues in place of the rivits don't bother me at all, but the lag in receiving the product back and not returning my e-mails and phone calls did upset me very much , but that was 2 or 3 years ago, maybe he has changed his ways ! I just might have to try his services again, if all else fails ! Syl had rebuilt those crystal cartridges up in Canada , but as of late I have not been able to contact him by e-mail, you would have a current address for him ?
One last request, if I may ask, if I e-mailed you a "cropped" picture, could you get it down to the correct "pixel" size, and add it to my profile !
Have a nice Holiday down your way, Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL

lee_mar_petrie@yahoo.com

Yes, by all means, send me the photo you want to use as your avatar and I'll make it work. Icon_smile

Syl no longer rebuilds the cartridges. This is why he posted the how-to in the Phorum, so that all of us could learn from his experience. I truly appreciate his willingness to share his expertise with all of us here in the Phorum.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2011!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Lee,
I had WestTech reubuild a cart 2 yrs ago and it came out great, customer was happy.
As far as another rebuilder, a quick search turned up a fellow Donald Cochrane philcokid2@cs.com that supoosedly rebuilds crystal carts, and jukebox parts.
I have not used him, nor have any connection with him, just passing the info along so you can check.
Good luck,
Gary.

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the suggestion of another rebuilding source , I'll be sure to drop him an email ! West Tech ( Gib ) was good in the past , years ago, but I take in repair work for others, the wrong needles supplied , cartridges that appear to be more "tatered" than the one I sent and 3 weeks on returns of the finished product has gotten me upset !
Thanks again for your help, Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.