Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16B Shoulder Tombstone Code 125 dial string

The dial strings I have tried to replace with are slipping on the center pulley a lot (The shaft connected to the tuning knob). Do you know what type of string I should us for this? The original has quite a bit of friction on it, and does not slip. Unfortunately it broke and I need a new one.

Thanks for your help,
Steve

Here is your answer.

http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/dialcord.htm

Edit 2/25/18:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005467UHQ/ (H/T to Nathan S.)

I ran into the same problem on my custom-built Model 97, which uses the same dial drive as your 16. The Crochet Nylon solved the problem. I coated the string with violin rosin that had been melted in acetone to make sure it did not slip.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

You the man, Ron! Icon_biggrin and Walmart of all places.

Happily back in Illinois..not.

I found a roll of what seemed to be that same item at Walmart, but it was an 18 thickness and seemed too thin. I think they changed suppliers. The crochet line I bought looked exactly like that one, but was called Red Heart.

I then tried nylon Mason's line, size 36 and coated it with rubber cement. It worked. I'll save and use each line depending on the size of the radio I am working on in the future.

Thanks a lot for your help. This radio plays very well!

Steve

I too had no luck at Walmart, Jo-Ann's fabrics or Michael's craft store.
 The Red Heart crochet nylon at Walmart appeared to be a twisted multi strand akin to the yellow nylon rope that you may see in hardware shops.You know the stuff that frays and comes apart if you do not melt the ends.
 My vision was that I was looking for a woven nylon similar to the beige nylon fishing line or like the old dial cord.
 The picture from the Phorum is not large enough to show what the cord is.

I was advised to get the sku number and it could be looked up that way.

What is the diameter of the nylon?
                                                            Thanks,
                                                                       Henry

Henry

Nathan found something much better at Amazon - see here:

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...851&page=2

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,
 Thanks .065 " is good to know. I was headed toward the fishing line next but didn't know how thick to go.
I would like to suggest a much better way to make the loop.  
Tie a Palomar knot. It is a fishing knot. Simple and stays tied. I have used it for years. 
  Take a length of line and pinch it between thumb and forefinger. Pull out say 6" then bring the end back to form a loop . ( pinching that end between thumb and forefinger) 
   This gives you a 3'' loop 
   While still pinching wrap the loop around your fore and middle finger.
   Take the loop end and bring it thru the wrap around your fingers and slowly pull it tight by holding the the new small loop and pulling your fingers out that wrap is the knot you are tightening.
     Tough to describe but practice some and you learn how to adjust the length of the loop. 
    Google it and you should get a simple picture. This knot will not fail and untie when tied tightly
                                            Henry.