Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Causes of static only coming out of 41-280 Philco radio

What is the primary cause of "static only" coming out of 41-280 Philco radio? I cannot pick any station up, just the constant static hum?

Jimy

Have the paper and electrolytic capacitors been replaced? How about the wiring, is the rubber insulation in decent shape or crumbling as is often the case?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Jimy Wrote:What is the primary cause of "static only" coming out of 41-280 Philco radio? I cannot pick any station up, just the constant static hum?

Jimy

Hi JImy,
Is it static= crackling random noise ? Or a hum, like the constant hum from an aquarium air pump?

The hum would be from old filter capacitors, which as Ron asked about, should be changed. Please refrain from powering up the set again until at least those are replaced. A visual inspection should be done, just in case some of that rubber insulation fell off and the wires are touching underneath.
Please see:
http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/plugin.htm

Do you have experience in working with electronics? If so, you may be able to replace the capacitors yourself. Otherwise I'd suggest locating a person in your area, perhaps a vintage radio club that can help with thre electrical work.
Good luck.

Thanks everybody for your advice!!! No, I am not experienced with radio electronics, but I thought if it was something relatively simple, I might try the repair myself. I will take your advice though, and hand it over to the San Joaquin Valley Radio Club here in Central California for inspection and repair.

Thx again,

Jim

Are the stator blades making contact in the tuner capacitor?