Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help identifying a Philco Radio/Turntable

Hi,

Apologies if this is going to the wrong section of the forum. I have just acquired a Philco radio/Turntable cabinet (my Dad would have called this a radiogram but I don't know if this is correct). The radio works fine and the turntable spins also. I only paid £20 for it so I wasn't overly concerned that the chap who sold it to me said that when a record is put on the turntable the pick up arm just skates across it. It would be nice to know what kind of stylus I need to fix it though. The unit looks to be 1950s /1960s in style and is about 3 feet long and maybe 14 inches deep and 18 inches high. It is basicalle a cabinet with a polished wooden top - all the controls etc. are on the front. It has a horizontally opening tambour door to the left containing a turntable behind. The turntable is four speed and has a Monarch badge on the front of it. The radio has four control knobs silver on the front and about one and a half inches in diameter. The radio section has a cream fabric type speaker grill above it. The cabinet has Model 5400 printed on the back but googling this has not thrown up a picture that matches what I have. Hence my post. I tried to upload pics but the file sizes are too big. I would welcome any information anyone can give me.

Hello and welcome!

I'm assuming your Philco find was made in the UK? If so, I'm afraid no one on this side of "the pond" has any information on British Philco sets. Sorry about that. Most Philco (UK) sets are very different from USA Philcos.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN