Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-1015

Hi-
I inherited a Philco home radio-phonograph from my grandparents, model #42-1015. It's a little dusty but otherwise in ok-looking shape. Is it worth much? Would there be someone who can repair it and bring it up to working shape or is it not worth doing?I live in Mass.Thank you!

Hi,

I'm finishing up the restoration on one of these sets now. This model was the 2nd from the top of the line for Philco in 1942 according to Ron's website. The radio is full of rubber wire (probably 50 feet or more) that should be replaced along with the paper and electrolytic capacitors. It will take quite a bit of time to do a proper restoration but it will be a great sounding radio when it is done. It also has the old pre-war FM band. I have been working on a converter so that I can use this radio to listen to FM stations. Is the cabinet on yours walnut or mahogany? I paid $75 for mine about 4 years ago in really good condition. I just had to repair some chipped veneer, replace one of the feet, touch up the finish on the feet, and clean it up.

Sean
WØKPX

As Sean said, it will not be an easy nor cheap restoration on your 42-1015 if you have someone do this work for you, but the radio deserves to be restored and preserved.

The 42-1015 is one console I would make room for if I ever found one.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

...and I'm bringing this old thread back to announce that I found one at Kutztown! Icon_biggrin Keeping my word, I brought it home and have found a place for it.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Was your gas tank dragging on the ground on the way back home? Icon_lol