Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-280 Bandswitch/Pushbutton Questions

As always, Ron is correct. One day I'll figure it out Icon_confused

Ron, Art was looking for info on the button layout and bandswitch functions. He posted This in AR forums:

" Is there one pushbutton (out of the eight) that should be depressed for manual tuning? Trial and error told me the far left button is on/off. Is it the only one which should be depressed for manual tuning--bc band and sw bands? According to the schematic in Riders, six of the other pushbuttons are broadcast band pre-sets and one is for phono/television. "

I know someone here can help.

Glenn

Happily back in Illinois..not.

Glenn

I'm not Hush Limburger...I'm not always right. (Neither is he.) Icon_lol

The following commentary applies to the following Philco models: 41-250, 255, 280, 285, 287, 290, 296, 610, 611.

I think Art was getting confused between 1940 Philco models and 1941 models. True, on the 1940 Philco models with eight pushbuttons, the button on the far right needed to be depressed for manual tuning. However, 1941 Philco models do not work that way. The button on the far left became the off-on switch, and the button on far right became another button for a preset AM station, like the six to its left.

There are no decals above the knobs on the 1941 models. Instead, there is a brass strip on the escutcheon which is located above the knobs. Above each knob on the brass strip are the words BASS, VOLUME, BANDS (PHONO-BANDS on the 41-610 and 41-611), TUNING.

The knob with BANDS above it is the band switch.

When this knob is turned completely counterclockwise, this activates the pushbuttons. With each successive clockwise click of the band switch, you can manually tune the BROADCAST (AM), POLICE (low SW), and SHORTWAVE (higher SW) bands.

In short...you do not push a button to select manual tuning on the 1941 models; you select the desired band with the band switch.

Hope this helps.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron,

I do have the metal band on the escutcheon to refer to. I have a 1940 GE H-87 which has a pushbutton needing to be depressed to manually tune the radio. I haven't enough Philcos to understand their year-to-year changes.

Art