Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Did they make?

Did an 87 chassis come in a tabletop model? I just pick up a Spanish brown metal tabletop radio no visible model number, until I pulled the chassis. It is marked model 87. All the tabletop radios I find do not have the tube set up of an 87. Thanks, Richard

Don't believe so. The Model 511 came in this metal cabinet. So did the 65, 77, 95 and 96. All looked very similar. The 87 only came in highboy and lowboy wood cabinets, as far as I can determine.

If there is a small toggle switch and what looks like a headphone jack (actually for phono pickup) underneath the main tuning knob in the dial bezel area, then it's a 511.

This is a picture of the table top cabinet [Image: http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/e...Philco.jpg]
Looking inside you can see where other holes were to be punched out to fit other chassis. Thanks, Richard

Hmm... The 87 has the same control shaft "footprint" and I'll bet the metal cabinet is from one of the other models I mentioned that did use this style cabinet. Or it's an undocumented version? Or a Philco dealer did a "factory conversion" when it was new?

Maybe Ron can shed some light on it next time he "comes up for air." I don't have access to his Philco Furniture History data.

That cabinet is not from the 500 series though, since there are no toggle switch or phono jack holes in the "gold" bezel lower corners.

Interesting.... Icon_smile

I still think Philco had models they put together as "Demos" or to see how they'd look, which they later gave away or sold. I have no real basis for this other than supposition, but we regularly see ones which can't be explained, such as this one, or my unique cabinetted 118...

Scott

Old Cars, Old Radios, Old Pipes and Young Women... What more is there?

Under the bezel on the lower corners are two holes about the size of the hole for the on/off switch. Next to the outside of the volume and other control are two punch-outs for holes the same size. The chassis when removed was all-original. The condition of the radio and the layers of dust and dirt suggest it had been stored for a long while. I guess surprises like this are what make this hobby even better. Also did philco make seperate enclosed speakers for these sets? Meaning 4 wires not 2. Thanks, Richard

Hmm...obviously the same metal work for the earlier 500 series sets. The only "separate" speakers for these table top coffin sets, that I'm aware of, were the 2-wire high-impedance magnetic speakers. Curious....

Still have not found any info on this radio, but I did tear it down recapped it, cleaned all dirt and rust. Painted chassis, transformers and chokes. Cleaned cabinet. Reassembled. I used my speaker out of my 87 Lowboy and it played great. Know either I find the speaker for this radio or make one using the G model.
[Image: http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/e...G_0015.jpg]
[Image: http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/e...G_0019.jpg]

I found a picture of a model 62. The case is the same. The 62 is the 25cycle version of the 65. So I guess somewhere some how an 87 chassis found its way in. Now I would like to know if it was at the factory or dealer. In addition, an F-10 speaker works with this set up. Just have to find one.

I finally have the F-10 speaker and the radio sounds good. Looking through the gallery it looks like this radio came with every chassis, but the 87 which is in mine. If the 87 is incorrect I have a 77 chassis I can throw in. Also did they make different plugs for the F-10 speaker to accommodate other chassis.

Hi RJM

I have never seen anything from Philco even hinting that the 87 was ever offered in a metal table model cabinet. But as you now know, all of those large Philco chassis were pretty much interchangeable, so one could conceiveably install a 112 chassis into a metal cabinet if he or she wished...it would be just as non-original as your 87 in a metal cabinet, but it would rock the house...

All of my info indicates that the 87 was offered in console cabinets ONLY.

The early F-10 speakers would have had the large 4-pin plug used in 1929 and very early 1930 Philcos. Speakers designed for use with Model 77 and 96 table models would have (presumably) used the smaller, more common 4-pin plug adopted in June 1930. Never having seen an actual 77 or 96 table model, I have to presume that is correct.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN