Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-280 dial lamp problem

Ron, you posted (in another thread) that the correct contact underneath the chassis deck for the "pushbutton" dial lamp on this radio is contact B9 on the bandswitch. Thanks.

I have a couple of questions. How does one determine which of the 5 lamps shown on the schematic is the "pushbutton" one? I see that one goes to B9 but on the 2 schematics I have, the dial lamps are not labeled which is which.

Subsequent to that question is this one. I am still unable to get that lamp to light. I checked continuity from the bulb socket to contact B9. There is continuity. However a new lamp will not light. I am using a #44 there. Is that the problem? Again I see no label on the schematic which states which bulb it ought to be. So I'm winging it on that one. I have found no parts list for this radio.

Art

What schematic are you using? The Philco factory service info gives this information, as does the schematic in Rider's. The bulbs are shown just to the left of the AC plug on the schematic. The bulb in question is the one on far right of the group of five - notice how its lead goes to terminal B9 on the band switch.

Either the switch isn't making good contact, or else the contact inside the lamp socket isn't making good contact with the end of the bulb itself. Also, the other side of the bulb is grounded; make sure it is so in your set.

Check to see if you have 6.3 volts AC between the contact in the lamp socket and ground with the band switch in the "pushbutton" position.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

[quote="Ron Ramirez"]What schematic are you using? **********I AM USING RIDERS AND BEITMANS "MOST OFTEN USED SCHEMATICS OF 1941." THEY ARE THE SAME.*****************The Philco factory service info gives this information, ******I DON'T HAVE THAT.*******as does the schematic in Rider's. The bulbs are shown just to the left of the AC plug on the schematic. The bulb in question is the one on far right of the group of five - notice how its lead goes to terminal B9 on the band switch. *******************I SAW THAT IN THE SCHEMATIC, BUT IT DOESN'T GIVE THE BULB NUMBER THAT I CAN SEE.

Art,

6.3 volt bayonet style bulb would be a 44. Philco used that bulb style a lot.

Glenn

Happily back in Illinois..not.

Tackled the last (5 out of 5) dial lamp problem today. Found a bad socket on the lamp which illuminates the pushbutton area. Replaced with a good one in my stash and now the restoration of the chassis is complete EXCEPT for the dial pointer. Glenn of this Phorum thinks he may have one for me. But in case he doesn't, I'd still be looking.

This is a good radio, playing on all three bands and the pushbutton coils are all good and tunable. Am I glad I saved the cabinet for all these years! Icon_wink
Thanks to ALL who helped me!

Art

Art,
If Glen doesn't have the dial pointer I may have one that will work? Do you know the philco pt. # of the dial pointer you need?
The one I have is Philco # 56-1033 off of my spare 41-295 chassis, color white but can be painted red if need be. Maybe Ron or Chuck may know the pt. # for your 41-280?
Still working on my 41-295 slowly due to other committments & rebuilding old tube test equipment I have purchased.
John

John,

I appreciate the offer. No, I don't know the part number. I do not have a parts list....only the basic schematic and underchassis drawing. Neither, of course, shows part numbers. I think the 41-295's version would work. And I suspect the original one was ivory/white colored because this dial's backpainting is brown and ivory/white. I have a pointer I salvaged off of another chassis (can't remember if it was a Philco or something else) that is 2" long but won't work because the top (where it attaches to the dial string) is crimped too narrow. It is long enough to be the indicator for the bottom-most dial (BC) so 2" would work. And its color shows up very well on the dial.

Ron or Chuck do probably know the #.

Thanks,
Art

Art,

According to the 1941 Philco RMS Yearbook part number is 56-1516.

Good luck!

Art I just sent you two pic's of the pointer I have I believe it to be the correct one. Please let me know.

Glenn

Happily back in Illinois..not.

Glenn,
See your email. Unfortunately it won't work.
Thanks for trying,
Art

Art--that pointer was also used in the 40-150, 40-155, 40-180, 40-185, 40-190, and 40-508 to name a few.