Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco mentor needed

Hi, I recently purchased a neat looking old radio at a garage sale for more of a decorative purpose, turns out that it is a Philco model 38-2xx. The cabinet is absolutely beautiful and in great shape, but the electronics for the most part are all missing other than a metal box with some broken tubes. I would really enjoy restoring it to its original glory, however I don't know much about electronics(i'm a plumber), and I don't want to sink a ton of money into a possibly unsuccessful project. I need a mentor of sorts to guide me in the right direction or tell me that its way too expensive or parts are too hard to find. Thank you in advance.

Kindly post photos (upload to Photobucket or a similar site, paste IMG links into a posting here). Ideally, show the top and bottom of the chassis.

Web site: http://www.masekconsulting.net
Radio Photos: http://www.photobucket.com - album id FStephenMasek

Where do you live? Might be someone close who could help.

Glenn

Happily back in Illinois..not.

Well I am not all that computer saavy yet but I will try to post a picture of the unit in the next day or two. I live in southeast Michigan if there's anyone local out there. Thanks again.

Hello and welcome!

You are in luck...one of the largest radio clubs in the country is in Michigan, and they host one of the country's largest radio swap meets each July.

I suggest you contact the Michigan Antique Radio Club. I am sure they will have someone who can help you out.

Their website is down, but if you contact Mark Oppat he can give you all of the info.

moppat AT comcast DOT net

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello, this may be a bit off topic, but would you mind measuring the dimensions of the faceplate where the radio controls sit? Basically the interior edge of both of the columns that swing out to the corners, and also the height. I really just want the dimensions of the inverted/titled portion of the radio. Let me know if you need me to draw a pic, its kinda hard to explain in text Icon_smile

thanks
Jason