Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Magnavox Provincial

I'm restoring a Magnavox Provincial with # 242 chassis and have been unable to find information about the record changer.
It is marked Magnavox on the tone arm and also MX 850 and number 5218501 stamped in ink on the motor board. The cartridge is for 78s amd LPs amd rocks back and forth to select the one you want.
I need to know how to remove the tone arm so I can try to find another cartridge that will work.
The tone arm will not lift high enough to get to the cartridge, don't want to damage it.
I also need to know how to adjust where the needle sets down, it needs to go in about another 1/8 inch.
I have cleaned ad lubed it and other than these problems it appears to work like it should.
Will very much appreciate any information.
Paul

Hi Paul

Please see this thread:

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=2617

It sounds like you may have a Webster Chicago 256 changer. I have one pictured on page 3 of the thread. Does yours look like that?

If so, an Astatic 89T Soundflow cartridge is a bolt-in replacement; that's what I have in mine now.

I turned my changer upside down on the workbench, and then I was able to remove the old cartridge and install the 89T.

The service data for the 256 may be found here:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...023301.pdf

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,
I have a WC 356-1 changer in my Magnavox Belvedere and this one is very different.
I believe this one may be a Collaro from late 1940s.
The tone arm looks a lot like the ones on a Collaro TC-99. Record stabilzer arm has a hole that fits over the spindle.
Has all functions in one control; off, 78, 45, 33 rpm and reject. The reject pushbutton ( operates solenoid) is located in the center of this knob. Has a large 4 pole motor.
Information for CR242 chassis is in Riders 22 Nostalgia Air record changer information may also be in this volume or volume 23. I don't have these volumes.
Tone arm will not lift high enough or move aside enough to get to the cartridge. I think it may snsp on at the pivot point but I want to know how to remove without damaging it.
Thanks for your help. Paul

Well, then, I'm afraid I can't help you as I am unfamiliar with the Collaro.

But as for getting to the cartridge, as I posted previously, I turned my WC 256 changer upside down on the workbench; and then I could move the tonearm aside just enough to reach the cartridge and change it. But if the Collaro arm won't move aside enough...

Hopefully, Doug Houston will chime in here with some thoughts. If not, you might send him an email; I am sure he will know what to do about your Collaro.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I don't know at which point Mag switched from Webster-Chicago to Collaro, but if you have the rocker cartridge in the pickup arm, it sounds like the W-C 256. The pickup arms on those had the nme Magnavox molded in the arm.

If you could get some pictures in here, it would grease the skids for us.

Thanks for your input Doug.
This one has the word Magnavox moulded into the tone arm but is a three speed. Was the 256 a three speed?
I don't have a camera to post images. I have a friend who may be able to post for me.
I have a Belvedere that has a WC-356 in it. These Maggies are great sounding.
Paul

No, the W-C 256 is two speed (33-1/3 and 78 rpm). That is what I have in my Maggie Regency Symphony (thanks to Doug). Icon_smile

So your changer is different than the 356 in your Belvedere?

Hopefully your friend can take some pictures for you for posting here.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I think I found it. The last digit on the changer in question is a blip from the rubber stamp.

It looks like Collaro. The pickup arm is held on the rear end of it by two snap fasteners. The playing end of the arm is pointed, and I can't imagine anything that could replace the cartridge. You just pry the arm loose at te rear end. It will snap off.

I'd need to see a set of Collaro notes to be absolutely sure. The service notes I have are a Magnavox publication, and the way they talk, it's THEIR changer.

Finished re-capping, installed chassis in cabinet, tried changer and to my suprise the cartridge is good. Good output and good response.
Never before had one that old that was good.
Paul