Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another 48-482 on the air!

After a couple of weeks of recapping, re-resistoring, I have my 48-482 singing sweetly, on both AM and FM. I did an alignment on the AM band, but I'm reluctant to delve into the FM, as it looks impossibly difficult. I'm getting my local NPR station on it, which is good enough for me.

Much thanks to all those who have posted their 48-482 experience on this forum and others, especially Terry Judkins and all the other brave souls who have ventured into the "hive of bees" that is the capacitor/resistor knot of this radio.

I'm now beginning on the cabinet. Here's a snapshot of the thing before I started on it:

Dang. Picture didn't work. Try this one:

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...g:original]

Glad to hear of another one of these great sets back in service. I think the cabinet looks pretty good as it is. I restored a 48-482 about a year ago and use it as my daily driver on my desk at work tuned to the local NPR station. I did tackle the FM alignment and it was a little tricky but not too bad. I don't think I had the problems with mine that other have had, mainly with the FM1000 detector. I think my biggest problem was getting a squished piece of solder attached to the IF transformers correctly for signal injection.

Sean
WØKPX

Congratulations on the repair.

I have read stories about people attempting to restore the 48-482 sets, and they usually weren't good stories. So it is good to hear that the two of you were able to successfully restore two of them.

I redid one of these a year or so ago. I didn't think it was that difficult, and it worked like a charm on all three bands when I was finished. I had to replace the FM 1000 tube, though.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The hardest part was getting at the resistors beneath the band switch. I couldn't figure out how to remove it, so I had to work around and through it. By the way, I learned a new variation on the DIY pushbutton labels for this model. They used a typeface named Empire for this one. It's available for about $25 from various font sellers online. Don't know of a free version of it. Here's how it looks: