Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA Victor & Allied Radio have the same Superhet

So I've been reading these old books about tube radios, trying to catch up with all you old timers. So get this, I was looking at the schematics for the RCA Victor 5 tube 56x5 and noticed that it looks remarkably similar to Allied Radio's Knight "Ranger" 5 AC-DC Superhet. In fact, the tubes are the same, the resistors are the same, the capacitors are the same, the connections are the same... They're the same radio! Allied radio copyrighted their schematic in 1950 (the manual I found it in was Copyrighted 1950). RCA produced their radio in 1946. Could this be corporate thievery? Did Allied Radio steal from the RCA Mfg. Company so many years ago?

Or is the real answer because that's the only way to make a 5 tube superhet?

Anyway, I thought it was cool. Just thought I'd point it out.

I guess I should pose the question, is it possible that Allied Radio just bought the rights to the radio and produced a kit and called it the Knight Ranger?

-Brandon

While there are more "All American Five" radios out in the world than cockroaches in Florida, there aren't many ways to connect that tube complement. It would be no surprise to see an identical chassis, made by more than one company, unknown that the same schematic was used by someone else.

OHHH! *THIS* is the "All American Five" I've read so much about! Now it makes much more sense.

Thanks, Doug, for clarifying all that for me. Icon_smile

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Philco 46-480 Cabinet Restoration
I have since gotten the cabinet stained and toned. I saw a video online of another guy renovating a 46-480, and he used ...jrblasde — 07:37 PM
Philco 39-116 radio and remote
Hi Brad, Thanks so much for the info!  Do you happen to have the specs for the PT-86 transformer?  I did not find a lis...RichG — 04:32 PM
Philco 269 - 444 FIVE VALVE VERSION?
Thanks Arran; If your set has five tubes/valves then it could be an A537, V537, or a U527, then again it looks like s...ChasL0001 — 11:07 AM
Philco 29 or 45
29 chassis has a shadow meter while 45 chassis does not. Shadow meter is part no. 27 in the 29 schematic. compare it t...klondike98 — 10:32 AM
Sorry, Chas. Re the burns, I broke my first TV at the age of 3.  Between my electrical experiments :yikes: (My mom wa...MrFixr55 — 09:07 AM
Philco 41-221 Restored
Thanks for the compliment Richard. The tenite grille is original. A few of the horizontal slats were slightly warped so ...RodB — 08:44 AM
Philco 29 or 45
Hello, I have just received a Philco lowboy where the tube layout label in the cabinet says 29 or 45. There is no label ...dconant — 08:29 AM
Philco 41-221 Restored
Mr fixr, That is great news I would love to see repo grille !! I too have a very similar Philco but my cabinet has fab...radiorich — 08:22 AM
Philco 41-221 Restored
Hi Rod, I always tell people that my scars give me character.  :wink:   Great job on the radio.  Is the grille origi...MrFixr55 — 08:00 AM
It looks like the PENDD61 valve/tube must have failed, so someone replaced it with the EBC33, which is a double diode-tr...Arran — 04:29 AM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 2179 online users. [Complete List]
» 3 Member(s) | 2176 Guest(s)

>