Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA 9X571 Bullhorn - Electrolytic Capacitor

I have an RCA Bullhorn radio that I am bringing back to life. I've done a couple Philco's with no problems, but this is the first time I've run into a Three Section can electrolytic capcitor mounted on top of the chassis. It is a 120 mfd - 150 volt; 120 mfd - 150 volt; 40 mfd - 25 volt capacitor.

Anyone have any idea where I can get a new one or will I have to fabricate my own?

Thanks,
Dick Toth

I have one, but have never been into it. It's an AC-DC set; all American five, I believe. While that exact electrolytic was available at one time, those electrolytic capacitors in cans are long gone. If you want to keep the appearance of the set, with the filter cap can there, the easiest way out of that is to simply disconnect the old terminals on the original one, and replace each section with a single section of the right rating.

But, if you are determined for original appearance (which no one can see), go ahead and re-stuff the old filter cap can. I can't think of a better way to waste time and effort, however, it's your project.

Doug:

Thanks for the reply. I searched the web for a while to no avail, looking for such a triple section replacement. Appearance doesn't mean that much to me. If a replacement doesn't exist, I'll just replace it with individual electrolytics.

By the way, how does your radio sound? This one was DOA, so I have no idea yet. I'm hoping that big 8" speaker puts out a nice tone.

Thanks!
Jack

Hi Jack,
Hmmm Sounds like something you do to a plane, any way.... I've got a 1X591 which is pretty similar to your set. A radio buddy gave it to me cause it wouldn't play very loud. Ended up being a bad 2nd IF transformer. The circuit does have a bit of loudness compensation and with the larger 8" speaker it does sound better than a regular AA5. I'd bet that's why it has larger filters in it to kill off any 60 cy hum as most AA5's with a 4" speaker won't pass 60cys very well.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

You can place three individual new capacitors in that can after you clean it out (search for electrolytic restuffing), or just mount them under the chassis. Some new cans are made, but they are expensive, and it is unlikely that any now sold have the values you need.

Web site: http://www.masekconsulting.net
Radio Photos: http://www.photobucket.com - album id FStephenMasek

You can save a little bit of trouble by mounting the new 40@25v directly at the audio output tube. The modern caps are so small!

I have to confess that I have never fired up the 9X571 set. I did expect that it will have much better sound than the garden variety AA5 set. They would have had to put a bigger output transformer in it, to get better output than the AA5 sets.

I believe that it's the same set that they combined with a 45 changer. Forgot the model number.