Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA Victor 56x5 "All American Five" Superhet

I broke down, went to the antique store and bought this old radio. It's got a lot of work to be done to the wood box, but the chasis is clean, the wires aren't falling apart, the heaters on the tubes passed a resistance check, and I think this will be a good little radio. It helps I have two different schematics of it too.

Before I get started, there was one question I had. Some of the foil caps have been replaced. They've been replaced by caps that look about the same size and shape of the original paper cap, but the outside is red or blue plastic. I've never seen these before and wondering if I needed to replace those as well.
Also, not all the caps have been replaced, only four.

Any suggestions or history on these plastic caps? If no one responds I'll just replace them too.

Thanks!
-Brandon

Hello, Brandon: post some pics of the chassis, if you can. It's never a bad idea to replace older capacitors and other out of tolerance components, but you also run the risk of making more work should the insulation crackle off wires that you disturb. Also be careful when you do "fire up" your radio, especially when the chassis is out of the cabinet, as the old AC/DC sets have a "hot" chassis.

Hi TA,

I'll try to get some pictures up here. I just took them and now I can't find my camera's cord to upload them. I'll search for it and get them up tomorrow, hopefully. I've already checked the wires, even the power cord seems to be pretty good. I need to replace the actual plug of the power cord because it looks like it's little worn where the cord meets the plug.

I'm just going to replace all the caps. That way I know what's what. I have to wait on the filter caps though Icon_sad before I can commence any work. Oh well, I read in someone's post that hobbies aren't races... he, obviously, was not an impatient man.

-Brandon

Impatience can have some ugly consequences in this hobby, but I can understand how you feel. After all these years I still am thrilled when I bring an old set back to life. It is especially so when the set you are working on was in rough shape when you got it.

This site is a good "crash course" that you can use to bring you up to speed on many things about the hobby. Try to spend the time reading the articles here and in other sites, it will hold you in good stead when you are restoring an old radio.

Hey TA,

This site is great for my impatience. Fortunately, while I have the caps/other parts on order I can work on the wood box. And in the interim between wood box and electronic restoration (or if it gets too cold in the garage to work on the wood) I can come to this forum and see what everyone is doing, ask questions, learn a little, and get re-motivated to stay the course!

Looking forward to showing off my first set when I get it working again (well, the 42-327 Philco is technically the first set, but it's a project for after I've built my confidence since it's not cooperating with me - the RCA will be my first working set).
-Brandon

I have a couple of these sets...no, three of them. One of them is a "Radiola" version of it. I haven't been into either of these sets for some time now, but I'm sure that this model has a 12SG7 RF stage, with mixer stage untuned.

The set is decently sensitive, so that's OK as far as the broadcast band goes. The 56X5 was advertised as a 12000 mile set, or something like that. The implication was that it was exceptionally hot on short wave. Indeed, you have to use an external antenna on it, but I think that the 12000 mile number probably means that you have to take the set 12000 miles to get the SW station.

But, it is a handsome cabineted set, and was a tad expensive. If the printed wood grain on the cabinet is still in good shape, you have a cute radio, and it sounds good, for the audio circuitry.

Icon_arrow

I recapped my 56x5. I can get some really strong local stations, but otherwise I can't get anything. Additionally, the shortwave feature just gives a steady hum and doesn't sound like it's even tuning into different static when I try tuning it.

I haven't hooked up a good external antenna, so my question is would that help significantly with the broadcast band as well as provide some reception on short wave? If so, what's the best type of antenna to get? Just a copper wire strung around my living room (my wife would love that!)? Also, the sound is very distorted... it sounds kinda like the speaker is not good - I mean it is about three times as old as I am Icon_smile. Anyone know what I could do other than replace the speaker that might make the radio sound a little better (something I could adjust for audio quality or tone?)?

At least I can get the strong stations though! When I got it I all I could hear was a loud hum. Next up... my Philco 42-327 code 122!

So put on about 50 feet worth of copper wire for an external antenna and the AM stations came in GREAT! I can get all the local stations fairly clear (I've never heard a new tube radio so I'm only comparing the radio sound to what I've heard on movies and tv... very scientific). But the shortwave function isn't working at all. I thought the volume control worked on the SW, but there's not even that. All I hear on the SW bands is a steady, very quiet hum - like it's getting an 'empty' signal. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone had a similar problem with these all americans?

thanks in advance!

-Brandon

PS: is there a way to tone down the high pitch hums from the weaker stations... the strong stations drown out the high pitch hum I hear, but the weaker stations don't so there's a (what I'd call) an old-time radio hum... ALL the paper and electrolytic caps have been replaced, so any other ideas? Maybe adjustments? This is not significant... but I'd like to get a clear sound on it if possible.

I found out what the problem was with the high pitch hum. My Apple MacBook sitting next to the old RCA is causing some sort of interference. When I use the mousepad it causes it to squeak, same thing for any button functions of when the processor starts crunching!

I'd never have thought that except I noticed that when I adjusted the volume on my computer it caused a nearly identical sound simultaneously on the radio. Kinda neat... I'd never thought my computer was giving off enough interference to hear on AM bands... solution - move computer off table with radio... still no shortwave though Icon_sad

And if you have an unstoppable 60Hz (B-flat for the musically inclined) hum, don't forget to turn off all your fluorescent lights including the CFLs before going chassis diving. Icon_biggrin

I'm back, Brandon (That's the name of the township I live in).

Through all of this, you never mentioned anything about alignment. You'll find some sets, 70 years old, where the alignment is right on the money, and others, where it's off quite a ways. You ALWAYS have to check it. Peak the IF channel in the set at 455 Kilocycles, and if it was off, just a hair, the performance would be badly reduced. The alignment of the front end is also important, but the IF is where all the set's gain is.

Those sets are pretty hot on the loop antenna alone, for the BC band, but you still need an external antenna for SW.

RCA made a lot of sets that were similar to this one, with the same BC-SW coverage. I sort of think that the 12000 mile, or whatever was obtainable several years before the 56X5. Still, it's a cute set.

Dougie-boy, I owe you!

I've gotta look up the exact directions to actually align this thing, but I played with it a bit and finally got some sound... not just sound, but bonefied human voices! Nothing strong, but enough to keep me moving!

I'm really excited. MANY THANKS to everyone that contributed, Doug gave me the last piece of the puzzle! Little did I know a poor alignment would all but stop sound from coming out - even if the AM side was sounding fine!

Soon I'll be tackling my Philco again, maybe a solid alignment was all that was needed there too? Icon_smile

MANY THANKS AS ALWAYS!
-Brandon