Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Liquid Electric Tape

Home Depot sells this stuff called Liquid Electric Tape. Seems like it would be good for reinsulating bad wires. All you have to do is paint it on and let it dry.

Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts on this stuff?

-Brandon

There are some people who like this stuff. Personally, I won't use it on rubber insulation; I would rather replace the insulation. That way, I know the insulation is all new, and won't fail for a long time.

I use heat shrink tubing in various colors. I unsolder one end of a wire and remove the crumbly old insulation. Then I cut a new piece of heat shrink tubing to the correct length and shrink it with a source of heat (often by moving it across the chimney of an Aladdin lamp, which produces a lot of heat...too much to put your hand over it without getting a nasty burn right away!). Then, I put this tubing over the old wire, resolder in place, move on to the next wire, etc., until all of the old rubber insulation has been replaced.

It is very time-consuming...but I would rather do the job once and do it right, so I no longer have to worry about insulation falling off wires.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Your way sounds like a much better fix. I was thinking about it anyway, the liquid tape could get really messy under the chasis anyway.

Thanks for your input, Ron.

-Brandon

Liquid electrical tape is about as good as using wire nuts for making automotive electrical repairs. (It's a temporary solution.) I'm with Ron - replace those bad wires.

Brian Mattson
Coon Rapids, MN