Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 38-4 won't work. Help I'm a novice!

Can someone share with me a step by step guide to simple troubleshooting for my 38-4 radio? It used to work but now won't turn on. Here's a picture. The power/antenna(?) wire are a mess. This radio has never been restored to my knowledge. I've owned it since 1978.

The simple answer is no. What you will need to do is replace the filter caps in the power supply and the paper caps throughout the set. It looks like the rectifier tube has been replaced which concerns me a bit. I think first off I would check over the power transformer to make sure the HV windings are OK and the primary of the transformer isn't open. You will need a ohm meter to do this. Do you have one?
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks, I appreciate the advice, but I didn't understand any of that. Looking closer at the workings, I can see your evidence of this radio having been worked on before. Rather than break it further, there is a local antique radio club. Maybe I should attend a meeting? It doesn't sound like I should just go digging in there.

I did by the way get the radio to turn on and sort of work yesterday, so it seems the tubes are okay. Lots of hum and static. Could this be an antenna or ground issue? These I might be able to address myself. There are three wire connections on the back near the power cord, there are old wires connected there that just hang and I'm guessing they are antennas.

Join the club, but please don't turn the radio on again until you've had a chance to chat a little bit about your set. It looks like a keeper, at least from the back.
I noticed the replaced rectifier tube too. Surely a sign a re-cap job is in order. Make it so.

<Rather than break it further, there is a local antique radio club. Maybe I should attend a meeting? It doesn't sound like I should <just go digging in there.

Excellent ideas!!!
I don't mine going step by step to help but if you don't have any practical experience it will be a lot of work to go thought it. And then there is buying some tools and things. Finding another hobbyist who enjoys working on these old guys would easier and more fun. The person wouldn't necessarily have to be a pro, just some experience with a soldering iron and a few pieces of test equipment.

>Lots of hum and static. Could this be an antenna or ground issue? These I might be able to address myself. There are three >wire connections on the back near the power cord, there are old wires connected there that just hang and I'm guessing they >are antennas.

Probably not. You've got a lot of 70yr old+ parts in there that tired and need a change for good and proper operation of the radio. The connections on the back are for the antenna and ground. The terminal to left is for the antenna and the two on the left are ground connections. Here is the service info for your Philco http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013250.pdf

Please stop by the Phourm if you and your new found radio friend have any questions. I think I can speak for most of us here we enjoy helping others in getting their old set back in safe working order whether they are beginners or older guys like me.
Good Luck w/it
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks to all for the good advice. I'm going to get in touch with some local radio buffs and will let you know how I do. I'm also reading up on basic theory so I have some grasp of what's going on.

There's an excellent step-by-step series on restoring a Philco 41-255 on the Antique Radio Forum you may find entertaining and helpful. ( http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/view...p?t=152169 ). It's geared especially towards those who haven't done one of these before, and it's LOADED with lots of very good photos, as well as advice from sages including our own Ron! Icon_clap Check it out and see if plunging into the guts of your Philco is for you.