Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Magnavox model 198C restoration

(04-08-2011, 11:27 PM)Doug Houston Wrote:  This is gettin' to look interesting. Firstly, my postwar Magnavox book doesn't appear to have the chassis models that go as far a CR 198. I may have another postwar Maggie book that could have it; I just need to go and dig it out.

Anyway, the other day, there came a postwar Regency-Symphony for sale nearby, in very, very nice shape. It turned out to be a late model, and if I recall right, the manufacture date stamp was 1948, but around October. The thing is grossly overpriced, but the sellers might sober up and take my offer. They don't understand that side-by-side phono combinations usually are curb decorations. This one is far better than that, but nonetheless side-by-sides just don't draw a stampede.

So, I noted the CR model number on the chassis. I seem to recall that it was CR 198F. It looks just like yours, but IT HAS THE FM BAND IN THE TUNER! The panel is polished brass. Unlike Ron's, the cabinet has no floor in it, where the amplifier would have gone, as the whole set is on one chassis. The set I looked at has two metal 6L6's in it, and a 5T4, in place of the 5U4. It's a JAN replacement. By that time, the original 6L6's were probably still the big glass ones.

Back, when I was still in Detroit, I had one just like this Regency. It was in Walnut, which you just about never see. It was the first Magnavox I'd ever had, and it had this same chassis in it, with the FM band on the main chassis. I had re-capped he set, but had to let it go, just because there was no room for it, anywhere. I've always regretted having to let it go, but those are little tragedies we have to bear in life.

This one I looked at is so doggoned nice, I'd buy it for that reason alone. The set is feeble. It barely gets WJR and CKLW, at full volume. I told the guy that it should be cracking the plaster at that setting. It has a 256 changer,as it would, that late in 1948. Naturally, the pickup is dead. They generally ended up with Sonatones, as this one will, if I get it. Ron Ramirez feels that I might end up with it. It looks like Magnavox updated their AM-only chassis to have FM in a later version of it. I have a Sonatone in my Windsor, and it sounds good.

Funny thing, and Ron lit the fuse. There is (was?) a Magnavox message board, and there was one smart a!! on it, who boiled my blood. All of this banter here about Magnavox has been more rewarding than any other place.

By the way, Bill, I have a sort of nice Maggie Georgian (Postwar), that I would like to move out. I have very little in it. If you think you'd like it, you could have Huggy Bear tote it down there......? e-Mail me, if you want to.

Doug, I recently talked with Huggy Bear on the phone. He isn't planning on coming this year, but, might next year, or, even this coming winter.
He would be interested in bringing your Maggie when he does.

Just got my Maggie back out where I can get at it again. Been doing house cleanning.
I will be getting back to it before too long to finnish tunning, then, do cabinet work.

Ron, I used brasso on alot of the chassis, with very little rubbing with 4 0 steel wool, then, brasso with paper towels, with alot of rubbing. I didn't want to get the steel wool in chassis. It was used primariloy to put the polish on.
Painted areas, be very careful. Brasso will remove the paint.

Mine tunes the buttons the same way.
Bill Cahill

"If it lights in the dark and leaves you with a warm glow it's tubes."

"Honey, did you warm the baby bottle on my 75 watt hi-fi again?"
"I left it somewhere, but, where?"

With the price of gas now, i was a bit pessimistic about his getting down that way. I'll surely see him again in a few weeks, so I'll talk with him then.

I hope that you'll be able to get the set. I might be able to get some pictures of it soon. I have to have someone in the basement with me, in case I'd take a dive for the floor.

I was down there today for a short time, to get some new components for an amplifier I'm rebuilding, so I wasn't down there for very long. I want to get some shots of the Georian, and of the Windsor, as I'd promised you.

Thanks. Looking forward to them.
Bill Cahill

I haven't finnished 198C yet. I'm waylaid.
However, I finally got back on radio in my 1947 Magnavox tv, radio, phono.
CR-217 radio...

AM, and, SW are playing great. However, FM is totally dead. Not even static..

I had to replace 5" round electromagnet tweeters because they were shot.
I kept the fields in circuit, though.
I mounted two 4.5" rect. spkrs., and, wired up the voice coulds the way the originals were, including choke in serieds between them.

I haven't had this set plugged in in 8 years due to manny problems.
Today, I brought it up on variac.
The radio plays great!
Tweeters are working flawlessly....
This set has wonderful frequency response, and, that contour switch for the treble works great....
After I'm sure it's fixed, I'll re mount spkr. system, then, work on getting the tv to work again...
I got this set rebuilt in a trade from John Folsom about 9 years ago...
It had lusy sound because of the wreckied tweeters....
TV is a 12" set.
Phono is a two spd. WC.
Bill Cahill