Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Crosley 158 Septet

Found a Crosley 158, 7 tube cathedral, in an indoor flea market in original complete very good condition non restored. It was made in '32' for the '33' model year. Tubes in place are 2-58, 2-56, 1-57, 1-42 & 1-80. Superhet IF= 181.5KC. A pic is available at the Radio Attic. Don't know much about early Crosley's as have been concentrating on Philco, Zenith and Airline. Is it common or somewhat rare...should I grab it?
Thanks, John

Hello, John: they are fairly uncommon from my perspective. They are a decent reciever but can be a pain in the thing you sit on to restore both electrically and cabinet-wise. If this one is in decent shape and not overly pricey I would grab it.

The reason I say that the cabinets are tough is that the wood lamination often bubbles and separates, and often the wood on the arch splits along the wood grain.

Hello again, John: did you get the Crosley?

Not yet, going to go back and look at it a second time. I think it will be a good deal as my initial look showed it to be in excellent condition. Will have to wait till the first of the month when retirement check comes in as getting late in the month. Rebuilding a Solar CE cap analyzer, Heathkit T3 signal tracer, B&K 177 Vtvm, BK Precision 1803A freq. counter and have a Heathkit IP-32 power supply coming in...so keeping busy. Icon_thumbup John